Italian Citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Tonal
Rookie
Rookie

Italian Citizenship

Postby Tonal » 17 Jul 2008, 16:02

I would like to know how I could have dual Italian Citizenship.

I was born in the US in 1945.

My maternal father, Grandfather, G. Grandfather and G.G. Grandfather were born in Sicily. My mother and maternal grandmother were born in the United States.

My father is not Italian.

My husband was born in 1940.

My husband's mother was born in US. His maternal grandmother, G. Grandmother, and GG Grandmother were born in Sicily.

Does either of us qualify for Italian Citizenship?

Thanks.

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Re: Italian Citizenship

Postby JamesBianco » 17 Jul 2008, 16:41

Unfortunately no, a mother could not pass on Italian Citizenship to her children until 1948. You missed it by three years!

What about your husband's father? Was he Italian?

Tonal
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Tonal » 17 Jul 2008, 17:57

Thank you. I believe that some time ago I found this out. Yes, I missed it by 3 years! Darn.

My husband's father is German.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 18 Jul 2008, 00:06

If your desire for Italian citizenship is based on the ability to spend your retirement years in Italy, it can be done. Both you and your husband qualify for citizenship after a three-year residency (for most, the period is 10 years). You would establish residency in Italy and then apply for citizenship after you have lived there for two years. Check with your consulate to see what documents you would need.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”