List of docs

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Rogerusa
Rookie
Rookie

List of docs

Postby Rogerusa » 20 Jul 2008, 22:04

My wife is getting her citizenship, she is putting together the docs first. Can someone tell me where to get the list of documents the she needs to start her process? I had the list somewhere but i lost.

She is getting her citizenship by jure sanguinis, she has her great grandparents birth certificates. but my main question is: Did she needs to get the rest of the documents from both or she only need to get documents from her ggfather or ggmother?

thank you

whymse
Rookie
Rookie

Re: List of docs

Postby whymse » 20 Jul 2008, 22:33

Your wife is likely going to need close to 20 documents (birth, marriage, and possibly death) for herself, you, her parents, her grandparents, and her great-grandparents.

Some consulates don't care as much about the non-italian relatives, but others require all of them. You'll also need naturalization information on the Italian male (her great-grandfather) and will need to get apostilles for some, but not all of them.

Qualifications lists what forms are required depending on which relatives are involved.

She should make sure to know about the pre-1912 naturalization gotcha, and the pre-1948 women citizenship issues, as well as the general naturalization before birth of child issues that could prevent her from qualifying.

They definitely don't make it easy at all.

Rogerusa
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Rogerusa » 20 Jul 2008, 22:47

She should make sure to know about the pre-1912 naturalization gotcha, and the pre-1948 women citizenship issues, as well as the general naturalization before birth of child issues that could prevent her from qualifying.

Can you explain me more about this?

whymse
Rookie
Rookie

Postby whymse » 20 Jul 2008, 23:53

The big issue with all of those points is that a parent can only pass citizenship to their child if they haven't renounced it by naturalizing before their child was born.

"1912 Gotcha" - Some consulates, notably San Francisco and Chicago, which list it on their web pages, enforce a rule where if a person naturalized before June 14, 1912 then they can't transmit citizenship to their children, even to children born before their naturalization date.

"The 1948 issue" - Prior to 1948 women could not pass citizenship to their children, so if it is your wife's grandmother's father that she is attempting to use, and her grandmother was born before 1948 then she didn't pass it to her child and your wife's "chain of citizenship" is broken.
Due to the years involved in this case I would almost certainly assume your wife can't use her grandmother, but possibly could use her mother.

The other general issue I mentioned was that her great-grandfather couldn't have naturalized before the birth of her grandfather (I'll assume you won't use grandmother due to 1948 issue). Either way, if you look into the link I sent above you'll see them explain what's required to prove naturalization or lack of it... That process can take over a year to get information from USCIS, unless their new online program speeds the process up a lot.
If you don't know naturalization status of her great-grandfather then you'll want to go down the route of finding censuses from 1900/1910/1920/1930 (1940 isn't out yet) and seeing his listed naturalization status, or contacting the local NARA and having them search, or searching local court records. If you believe he never naturalized you'll still have to prove that he didn't by getting "No Record" certifications.

Hope that helps.... It's a confusing process...

Rogerusa
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Rogerusa » 21 Jul 2008, 00:00

she isn t qualify by her ggfather but by her ggmother. I don t see this category on the list

whymse
Rookie
Rookie

Postby whymse » 21 Jul 2008, 00:24

I think they don't put it on the list because it's not possible.
If the children of the great-grandmother were born before 1948, which is almost a mathematical certainty then her children wouldn't get the citizenship passed down to them due to the "1948 rule".

If you provide some additional details about which people came from Italy, and when the great-grandparents/grandparents/parents were born we can determine it conclusively, but I don't think a great-grandmother can pass due to the 1948 issue.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”