Relatives

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Shrugs05

Relatives

Postby Shrugs05 » 12 Aug 2008, 13:14

Does anyone know how I could find living relatives in Italy? Suggestions? Thanks.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Relatives

Postby PeterTimber » 12 Aug 2008, 15:03

go to www.paginebianche.it and put in surname in first line and town where they reside in second line and click CERCA if town is not known, put in province and if province is not known put in region. First names run in families so you might get lucky. =Peter=

Shrugs05

Postby Shrugs05 » 12 Aug 2008, 18:42

PeterTimber wrote:go to www.paginebianche.it and put in surname in first line and town where they reside in second line and click CERCA if town is not known, put in province and if province is not known put in region. First names run in families so you might get lucky. =Peter=

I did a search for Viglione (in Casalbore), Altieri (in Colobraro), and Vinciguerra (in Bellona). All of the results were more than one page and hard to pinpoint whom is a relative. Is there another way to narrow it down or a better option?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 12 Aug 2008, 19:10

What does family oral history say about about their town of origin....the Church or Saint name that might be used in your family (go to www.parrocchie.it and put in towns (one at a time please..yes they do!!) and see what church names are. Further go to www.comuni.it and put in names (yes!!) of each town and see if they mention feast days or patron saints.

If none of this works then get back with who what where when and why. =Peter=

federici1999
Rookie
Rookie

Postby federici1999 » 12 Aug 2008, 20:47

I wanted to do the same thing. I made packages of all my grandparents information and any pictures, passports, family member names that would possibly be identified by someone in Italy. I had a letter translated into Italian and mailed out 52 packets. About 2 weeks later I received an e-mail from a family who thought they new someone. They made the contact for me and I located my fathers first cousin and her family. Im going in September to meet them. The cost was about 75.00 dollars between copies, photos ,envelopes and stamps.
Thanks Bob

Looking for Federici and Cavalli from Bedonia

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 13 Aug 2008, 15:09

While it may seem very time consuming, send out a potential relative letter to all the names you locate thru Pagine in the towns of interest.
There have been some members who have sent nearly 100 inquiries of this nature with great results.......doesn't hurt to try and you may be pleasantly surprised with the results!!

Potential Relative Letter

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

Shrugs05

Postby Shrugs05 » 13 Aug 2008, 19:11

Thanks for the advice everyone. 8)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”