New York or Miami which consulate?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

New York or Miami which consulate?

Postby jeannierivera » 22 Aug 2008, 23:24

I am going to be applying for citizenship when we are ready with my siblings (three brothers) 1 lives here in SC with me and the other two are in NYC as is the rest of my family and family records.

I am understanding that we can all apply together, however, we live in different juristions. I would prefer to use New York as it will be easier do I have that choice?

Can we still apply together even though we live in two different places?

Spouse question: My husband who is not of Italian decent - does he have to present at the appointment. As I understand it, he can apply for citizenship as a spouse only AFTER we are granted citizenship. Is this correct?

Thanks for all your help.

Re: New York or Miami which consulate?

Postby mler » 23 Aug 2008, 00:58

Yes, your husband does have to wait until after your own citizenship is recognized.

NY is a good consulate to work with, but unfortunately, they will only allow you to apply if you can prove residency. If you do not have a driver's license in NY, a lease will do it. Is that a possibility?

BTW, the wait for appointments in NY is about a year, so if that's the place, make the appointment now, and let them know how many will be applying together. If all the documents are in order, NY is now moving quickly.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”