About naturalization, translatoin and apostille

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

About naturalization, translatoin and apostille

Postby phil100a » 26 Aug 2008, 05:56

I have procured my GF's naturalization documents from the County.

A few questions:

1) One naturalization document mentions the name of his wife and children, in passing. My father was born in 1911, and my GF formally declared that he was going to apply for naturalization in January, 1913. So, I'm just over the 1912 rule.

My GF finally naturalized several years later.

I'm assuming that the listing of his children and wife on the form is a formality, and not an indication that they were naturalized, because my father and some of hi siblings were not listed as naturalized in the 1930 census.

2) Do I need to get the naturalization documents translated into Italian? There are about 3-4 pages involved. I am aware that I need to get other documents translated (several birth and death certificates, my parent's marriage license, etc.)

3) Do I need to get an apostille for the naturalization document?

Last, I have sent a letter to the Comune di Caltanisseta, for my HF's and GM's birth certificates, and their marriage certificate. I hope that doesn't take too long.

Thanks in advance for all the help this great forum has provided

Re: About naturalization, translatoin and apostille

Postby mler » 26 Aug 2008, 11:19

I believe the document to which you refer is the Petition. On that document, the spouse and the children of the applicant are listed as well as their birth dates. The date of the Petition, however, is not significant; it is the actual naturalization date that determines when citizenship is renounced.

If the minor children listed on the Petition were born in the U.S., the subsequent naturalization has no effect on their citizenship. If, however, any or all the minor children listed were born in Italy, their father's naturalization meant they were naturalized as well. If your father was born in the U.S., you would be eligible.

BTW, the Petition and naturalization date provide the ultimate source of citizenship information; the census is, and always has been, notoriously inaccurate.

You need neither translations nor apostilles for naturalization documents. The response time for Italian documents depends very much on the comune.

Best of luck.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”