certification of non-exisestence

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
maddief
Rookie
Rookie

certification of non-exisestence

Postby maddief » 03 Sep 2008, 04:13

I am currently trying to apply for dual citizenship through my late paternal grandfather who was born in Italy. I have finally (after 2 1/2 years of headache) managed to obtain his certification of non-existence of a naturalization record. The problem is this: my father, who was born in the States, has just passed away. Do I now need to obtain the same document for my dad? Please advise!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: certification of non-exisestence

Postby johnnyonthespot » 03 Sep 2008, 07:12

maddief wrote:I am currently trying to apply for dual citizenship through my late paternal grandfather who was born in Italy. I have finally (after 2 1/2 years of headache) managed to obtain his certification of non-existence of a naturalization record. The problem is this: my father, who was born in the States, has just passed away. Do I now need to obtain the same document for my dad? Please advise!

Short answer: No.

If you are applying in New York City, you will need to fill out a "Declaration of Deceased Italian Ascendant" (Form 4) for each of them; I assume all consulates have the same requirement. You can download the forms from the NYC consulate's site.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”