Italian Citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
leash
Rookie
Rookie

Italian Citizenship

Postby leash » 26 Sep 2008, 03:51

Hi,

I was going to go through me nana for my italian passport but am finding it hard to obtain documents. i was going to now go through my mum, but she was not born in italy and never renounced her rights to cotzenship??

Can I go through my mum to get an italian passport???

Thanks
Known surnames- Mollica, Alba, Cannella, Secchitano
I would like to research my family history and find out as much as I can =)

vj
Master
Master

Re: Italian Citizenship

Postby vj » 26 Sep 2008, 14:59

Hi!
While you are waiting for a response on this Forum, have
you tried this Forum also:
ICGS's Italian Dual Citizenship Message Board
http://www.icgsmb.com/board/index.php

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 26 Sep 2008, 21:34

If your grandmother never naturalized or naturalized after your mom was born AND your mother was born on or after 1948, you should be able to qualify.

matta
Rookie
Rookie

Postby matta » 30 Sep 2008, 02:01

leash wrote:Hi,

I was going to go through me nana for my italian passport but am finding it hard to obtain documents. i was going to now go through my mum, but she was not born in italy and never renounced her rights to cotzenship??

Can I go through my mum to get an italian passport???

Thanks

You have to go through your mom regardless. Citizenship jure sanguinis can only be passed from parent to child (before 1948 from father to child). So, to obtain citizenship jure sanguinis, you need to prove a chain of citizenship.

So you need to prove your grandmother was a citizen of Italy when your mother was born, meaning that your mother (after 1948) was born Italian. Then you prove that your mother was an Italian citizen at the time of your birth, meaning that you (after 1948) are an Italian citizen.

You can't skip people in the line. So, at the end of the day, you need everyone's paperwork, starting with someone born in Italy.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”