POLL: Length of time to complete dual citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
imagineaa

POLL: Length of time to complete dual citizenship

Postby imagineaa » 27 Sep 2008, 10:45

I don't see an option to do a real poll with this software, but anyways....

If you were a US citizen who later obtained dual citizenship with Italy jure sanguinis, how long did it take you to do so, start to finish?

matta wrote:If you finished within a year, that would be the fastest I ever heard. Usually the process is 2-3 years unless it's an "Easy" case (mother or father has citizenship already), in which case I usually hear 1-2 years.

8O When I recently started this process, all info I found was that it would take about a year. The above was posted in another thread, and now I'm wondering if I should proceed at all (long story, but if I was going to do this it would need to happen sooner).

Just wanting to know what others' experiences were so I can decide. Ringraziarla

PS--Please mention which US state you obtained your family's documents from, and which consulate you dealt with. Thanks again!

mler
Master
Master

Re: POLL: Length of time to complete dual citizenship

Postby mler » 27 Sep 2008, 15:39

Three months to gather documents; eighteen months from application to acceptance. New York Consulate--documents from NYC, CT and TX

Should add that I applied when there was only a two-month wait for appointments so the total time was just under two years.

phil100a
Rookie
Rookie

Postby phil100a » 28 Sep 2008, 04:56

About 4-5 months to gather documents, but won't see a first appointment until sometime in early 2010. After that, I can expect another 1-2 year wait. I'm beginning to think that it's better to fly to Italia and apply there. I'm seriously considering this. San Francisco Consulate.

teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby teddi » 29 Sep 2008, 03:26

10 months of document gathering, 5 months wait for appt, 2 months wait for citizenship (at LA, 3 years ago)

matta
Rookie
Rookie

Postby matta » 30 Sep 2008, 01:45

My post is because at most consulates, you'll be lucky to get an appointment in 6 months (1 year is typical). Not to mention that after you submit an application, all your documents travel to other consulates and back for approval of apostille, then to Italy for registration before a passport is typically issued (6 months or so - though some consulates are literally years behind).

So, if you request an appointment today, and have all documents before the meeting, have no discrepancies, and you're at a consulate that isn't severely backlogged, that's about 1.5 years for a passport (1-2 years as I estimated it).

If your case isn't straightforward (and most aren't unless it's a living relative), then it gets a lot longer.

If you need a USCIS document, that used to be a year for the G-639 + another 6 months to a year for the letter of non existence (if you need that), though that process has been greatly reduced with the new Genealogy Unit at the USCIS, so both letters should be obtainable in a year.

If you need to correct a birth, death, or marriage record, that could take months depending on the state and require a visit to the court house for a hearing.

If you can't find the right comune in Italy, you might end up writing hundreds of letters looking for a birth certificate.

It all takes time. This isn't a process for someone who wants to move to London next month. If someone is in that sort of situation where they absolutely must move to Europe in the near future, then that person would be better off looking for a company that would sponsor a work visa, then apply while in Europe.

One note, though.. my comments are for US consulates. Around the world you'll see some consulates and governments which are faster, some which are slower, and some that just don't understand the process and make impossible to fulfill requirements.

matta
Rookie
Rookie

Postby matta » 30 Sep 2008, 01:47

phil100a wrote:About 4-5 months to gather documents, but won't see a first appointment until sometime in early 2010. After that, I can expect another 1-2 year wait. I'm beginning to think that it's better to fly to Italia and apply there. I'm seriously considering this. San Francisco Consulate.

SF is getting much better. I'm not completely following the comments on ICGS, but it sounds like a second citizenship officer was added.

phil100a
Rookie
Rookie

Postby phil100a » 01 Oct 2008, 07:49

matta wrote:
phil100a wrote:About 4-5 months to gather documents, but won't see a first appointment until sometime in early 2010. After that, I can expect another 1-2 year wait. I'm beginning to think that it's better to fly to Italia and apply there. I'm seriously considering this. San Francisco Consulate.

SF is getting much better. I'm not completely following the comments on ICGS, but it sounds like a second citizenship officer was added.

How long should I expect to wait to get an appointment response? I sent a note over last week, and still have not heard back.

How long should I wait before I resend? I don't want to unnecessarily harass Consular staff.

PaulinNY

Postby PaulinNY » 02 Oct 2008, 12:21

Ok, so here's my experience...

First off lets start with the process at the 100,000 foot level. The following was the process as I saw it transpire for me at the NY Consulate (specifically) in Fall 2005:

0. I gathered all documents, apostiles, etc. and applied at the Consulate.

1. Consulate did whatever they needed to do with my application (approve, verify, enter into system, etc).

1.5 Consulate sent my NJ birth record to the Newark Vice Consualte for validation and translation. This took 12 of the 17 months of the process for me. They told me this 12 month delay would be the case when I submitted. What I did not know before hand is that I could have gone to the Newark Vice Consualte myself and had them do this before my NY appointment - and saved myself a 12 month delay.

2. Once the Consualte was set with everything, they sent my Birth Certificate over to the comune for registration.

3. The comune registers it and sends confirmation of that back to NY Consulate.

4. NY Consulate then informs you, via letter, that the process is complete and you can apply for passport.

5. NY Consulate then sends notification to comune to ask them to register you in their AIRE directory.

6. Comune informs both the NY Consulate and you that you are registered in AIRE.

My process took 17 months and 5 days to receive the approval feedback from the Consulate (from Consualte appointment to getting my letter - time for gathering documents not included). The gathering of the documents beforehand took about 3 months. After receiving Consulate approval and going, in-person, to apply for a passport, the passport arrived 30 days later.

Note that they told me at my submission interview that the process would take 12-18 months, so they were within the window of time they told me. I know alot of folks on this and other boards complain (with some justification) that the length of time for processing exceeded what they think they were told by the NY Consulate at their application appointment, but I'll say they were spot on with all dates they told me throughout the process.

I then applied for passport in late-April 2007. Arrived 4 weeks to the day later (again, the exact timeframe the notice on the NYC website stated at that time).

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 02 Oct 2008, 13:40

Dear Matta All of my records inthe USA are in NYC andthe town of origin in Italy. My grandparents returned to Italy just prior to WW1 and never obtained US citizenship while my father (and my mother as well) were born in NYC and died in NYC and my grandparents died in Italy.

Is there a cutoff year for not having to obtain the non declaration of US citizenship letter for my grandparents? And will this shorten the process time? Thank you. =Peter=

teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby teddi » 03 Oct 2008, 07:37

No, proof of non-existence of naturalization (or naturalization after child's birth) is required in all cases.

corrado
Elite
Elite

Postby corrado » 23 Oct 2008, 17:33

How long does it take after Lee's Summit gives you the letter of non-existance before USCIS on Mass ave in DC gives one the letter one needs?
Does this letter need an apostile? I filed the paper work over 1 1/2 years ago with UCSIS. Less's Summit said they should be done by Christmas with their part. Can this new process be used? I would have gladly paid for something to speed this up....

Also any idea on the wait time for the Chicago councilate?

many thanks
jon

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 23 Oct 2008, 20:58

imagineaa wrote:
If you were a US citizen who later obtained dual citizenship with Italy jure sanguinis, how long did it take you to do so, start to finish?

My first cousin Roberto applied at SF Italian consulate on March 2007 and got his italian citizenship on October 2008 (19 months)

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo :lol:

ldecerchio

Postby ldecerchio » 22 Nov 2008, 19:42

Hello Everyone,

I just recently began the process of gathering documents, when I discovered that I was eligible for dual citizenship through my great grandfather. I just scheduled an appointment at the Philadelphia Consulate for June 2009. My permanent address is in Pennsylvania, but is it possible to apply at another consulate? I am currently in Europe studying, is it possible to schedule an appointment at an Italian consulate here?

Thanks,
Lisa

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 22 Nov 2008, 20:54

ldecerchio wrote:Hello Everyone,

I just recently began the process of gathering documents, when I discovered that I was eligible for dual citizenship through my great grandfather. I just scheduled an appointment at the Philadelphia Consulate for June 2009. My permanent address is in Pennsylvania, but is it possible to apply at another consulate? I am currently in Europe studying, is it possible to schedule an appointment at an Italian consulate here?

Thanks,
Lisa

Dear Lisa, you can apply where you have your legal residence
bye Riccardo

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”