Name and date change: where to start?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
HudsonValley

Name and date change: where to start?

Postby HudsonValley » 30 Sep 2008, 18:45

Dear All,
I'm new to the whole process of obtaining Italian citizenship via jure sanguinis.
We are doing this through my spouse's grand father.
There are some name and date discrepancies in the documents.
For example, he was born as Odoardo. Came to USA as Eduardo (ship manifest). He got married as Eduard. Naturalized as Charles (no mentioning of Eduardo) 8O . Died as Charles Edward.
On his son's (who's my spouses father) birth certificate he first was mentioned as Eduardo, then somebody crossed his name out and wrote Charles above it.
Also on his Italian birth certificate, his day of birth is 25. On Naturalization certificate day of the month is 24. On death certificate - 26.
My question is, do we need to change these discrepancies? If so how do we do it? I would be grateful for a link or a message that would explain the whole process of changing vital records step-by-step (in Connecticut).
Our consulate is NYC.
Thank you very much in advance for your help, it will be very much appreciated.
HudsonValley.

mler
Master
Master

Re: Name and date change: where to start?

Postby mler » 01 Oct 2008, 18:49

I would suggest that you change as many of these discrepancies as you can. Contact the vital records office in CT to determine what, if any, documents can be changed. That will help you to decide whether to change the documents to Charles or to Edward.

NY is reasonable, but the many inconsistencies in your documents may raise red flags. Do what you can; then keep your fingers crossed.

HudsonValley

Re: Name and date change: where to start?

Postby HudsonValley » 02 Oct 2008, 15:39

Hi Mler,
thank you for your reply.
GF's birth certificate from Italy states his name as Odoardo (Edward). That's what I assume the NYC Consulate will want to see in his all further vital recods.
GF appears as Charles in Naturalization certificate, which can't be amended as far as I know.
So I guess, I'll have to change everything to Edward???

mler wrote:I would suggest that you change as many of these discrepancies as you can. Contact the vital records office in CT to determine what, if any, documents can be changed. That will help you to decide whether to change the documents to Charles or to Edward.

NY is reasonable, but the many inconsistencies in your documents may raise red flags. Do what you can; then keep your fingers crossed.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”