Need records for GGF who never naturalized

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Sicily

Need records for GGF who never naturalized

Postby Sicily » 24 Oct 2008, 14:35

I am trying to gather documents for dual citizenship and I don't know where to begin with my GGF.

GGF was born in Curti, Italy between 1882 and 1886 he traveled to US in 1902. He did not apply for citizenship or register as an alien. He traveled back to Italy in 1927 and again in the 40's. At some point in maybe 1958 he registered as an alien resident in the US.

I don't know what the easiest / quickest document to get would be in order to prove he was not a US citizen. Did Italy issue passports back then that the consulate would accept as proof or do I need to fill out a G-659 or whatever the freedom of info request form is and hope the government can find something or nothing on him based on the little information I have.

My grandfater was born in 1912 so I definetly qualify, I just have to prove it.

cefalo2
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Need records for GGF who never naturalized

Postby cefalo2 » 22 Nov 2008, 04:41

Hi,

I just went through this with my husbands grandfather. For the longest time I could not find his naturalization papers and began to suspect that he had never filed. I was told that in order to provide "proof" to reinstate Italian citizenship we needed to have a statement from the National Archives saying that a search was performed and that no records were found, along with U.S. Federal census records (for two different censuses) listing the ancestor as an alien.

Good luck!

Carm

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 22 Nov 2008, 13:54

Yes Cefalo2 is right, also I suggest you to check with local corthouse and local NARA Archive , and with USCIS/ Homeland security in Lee Summit, Missouri.
This last office takes a lot to reply (about 9 months-1 year) but I think it is worth
bye Riccardo

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 22 Nov 2008, 19:20

if you are pushed for time you can always ask your congressman to make a phone call and ask when you might expect to hear from them. =Peter=

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”