Looking for Passenger List - SS Plata departing

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Looking for Passenger List - SS Plata departing

Postby johnlabarbera » 30 Oct 2008, 00:18

Looking for the passenger list for the SS Plata which departed Palermo May 1886...

Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Passenger List - SS Plata departing

Postby Biff83 » 31 Oct 2008, 00:23

Hi, John!

I have access to Ancestry. There are 475 entries for the Plata departing Palermo and arriving 24 May at New York. Let me know what record(s) you're looking for and I'll try to locate and post.

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Postby johnlabarbera » 31 Oct 2008, 03:55

My great grandfather Gaetano LaBarbera put on his Naturalization Papers he immigrated to the USA on May 28 1886 on the Plata. Since I posted this, I found the Plata list on Ancestry, but no LaBarbera.

I am pretty sure he immigrated circa 1886 I just wonder why he is not on the list unless I missed him.

Thanks for looking :?

johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Postby johnlabarbera » 02 Nov 2008, 15:48

Looks like Plata went to NY not New Orleans, his immigration papers say he arrived in New Orleans. I wonder if they named the wrong ship.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 02 Nov 2008, 16:57

the Plata arrived in New York the 24 May 1886....
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 02 Nov 2008, 17:10

The Ship was originally Lascelles and sold to Italian steamnship company and renamed Amadeo and sold to Italian navagazione Co and renamed PLATA in 1885.

The ship started January 2, 1886 sailing from palermo Sicily to NYC. The ship was sunk in WW1 near Egypt in 1916.

It is possible that sometimes ships are diverted for special sailing to ports other than NYC. =Peter=

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 02 Nov 2008, 18:49

There is no record for gaetano LaBarbera arriving in NYC in 1886 or any other time for that matter in the Castle garden arriving passenger lists...It is quite possible the ship made a diversionary detour to New orleans on that one sailing in which Gaetano was a passenger.

Just to be sure perhaps you should Have someone check out the New orleans Passenger Lists Index & Images 1820--1945 which requires payment....but a subscriber may spare you having to go thru the Microfilm record of index to passenger lists of vessels arriving at New orleans 1853 -1899 (NARA publication T527;32 rolls). =Peter=

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 02 Nov 2008, 19:18

There is an oddity for one out of 4 Gaetano LaBarbera listed as arriving in NYC in 1910 who was detained..no age or town of last residence given? Since I am not aware of his last place of residence in Sicily I am reaching out to you to check out the ellisisland listing since he may have gone for a visit to Italy and returned to NYC to his brother. Please let me know what you find out? =Peter=

johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Postby johnlabarbera » 14 Nov 2008, 13:14

On his naturalization papers which were filed in 1919 he lists Palermo as his place of birth. However, when he traveled previously in 1910 he correctly listed his place of last residence (and birth) as Bagheria.

It is also reported that he travelled in circa 1886 with his siblings Antonino, Giuseppa, and Agnese. They were going to New orleans to stay with their Aunt Ignazia La Barbiera who was married to Giuseppe Guglielmo resding on Broadway Street. It is possible they spelled their name La Barbiera at this time and when Iganzia married Giuseppe in 1879 in New orleans she spelled her name La Barbiera. However, all family members evetually changed the spelling to La Barbera in both Sicily and the USA.

I have done all the online searching I can do via Ancestry.com and ellisisland. I am pretty sure he would have arrived in New Orleans and not NY in 1886 or thereabouts.

We have a photo of him and one of his little sisters taken in New Orleans and he does look to be about 12 to 14 years old. Since he was born in 1874 this all seems to fit and make 1886 close to his arrival date if not exact.

For some reason I have not been getting email notifications that a reply has been posted to this thread or I would have answered sooner. THANKS for your help.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”