Romilda Maresca - parents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mmbutts1

Romilda Maresca - parents

Postby mmbutts1 » 15 Nov 2008, 00:53

My grandfather Francesco(Frank) Maresca came to US in 1906. He said he was going to his brother-in-law Luigi Dincecco. I find Luigi's marriage to Romilda Maresca and I think my grandfather has a sister!!! Her parents(on the marriage record) are different from my grandfather's on his death record. I find an article on her in the local paper when she first came to US - article is from the Boston Globe dated Jan 26 1905 and says she was here several weeks. Can anyone find her coming to US - it says she landed in Charlestown, MA but I don't know if she landed in NY first!!

Thanks for any help!

misbris
Master
Master

Re: Romilda Maresca - parents

Postby misbris » 15 Nov 2008, 02:14

Here is a passenger record. However, her name is crossed out on the manifest, she did not sail. Also, this is dated 1910.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passR ... 0137010035

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 15 Nov 2008, 02:22

Before I post any other manifests that may not be correct, can you tell me Francesco's parents names and/or the town he came from. If you have Francesco's manifest, can you post it.?

mmbutts1

Postby mmbutts1 » 15 Nov 2008, 02:26

I found that record with her name crossed out and then I found another one for 1910 - she comes back to US with her son.

I'm looking for her 1st 'voyage' - the article on her in the Boston Globe says she was corresponding with a man that sent her her passage to US but when she got here she "didn't like the looks of him, he was much different than his pictures"!! The man was from NY but the article says she landed in Charlestown, MA (near Boston, MA), on the ship Canopic. I was hoping to find that record to see if it lists her parents.

Thanks

mmbutts1

Postby mmbutts1 » 15 Nov 2008, 02:40

misbris wrote:Before I post any other manifests that may not be correct, can you tell me Francesco's parents names and/or the town he came from. If you have Francesco's manifest, can you post it.?

Thank you for the help.

I found Francesco Maresca at Ellis Island, came to US April 18, 1906 - this is where I found the 'brother-in-law' Luigi Dincecco. If you want to look at Ellis Island - I have dialup and it would take me forever and a day to post it to you!!! On Francesco's(Frank) death certificate - father is Davide Maresca, mother is Illuminata Fabiano Maresca. I have to assume this is correct because Frank had two brothers, Emilio and Romolo, who came to US thru Ellis Island on May 23, 1910 (they're under the name Mansca or Manica - but when you look at record it say Maresca) and they list their mother as Illuminata. On Romilda's marriage record it lists her parents as Nicola Maresca and Lina Porrini so her husband Luigi Dincecco can't be my grandfather's brother-in-law!! Maybe she is a cousin to my grandfather and he(Frank) didn't know what to say!!

thanks again

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 15 Nov 2008, 02:50

Is this the correct manifest?

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0011

Do you have census records?

mmbutts1

Postby mmbutts1 » 15 Nov 2008, 03:02

misbris wrote:Is this the correct manifest?

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0011

Do you have census records?

That's the correct manifest for my grandfather.
Romilda Maresca married Luigi Dincecco March 5, 1905. The article about her in the Boston Globe is dated January 29, 1905 and states that she has been here several weeks.

I have census for her and my grandfather!!

thanks

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”