Naturalization for Italian descendent through residency??

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ldecerchio

Naturalization for Italian descendent through residency??

Postby ldecerchio » 23 Nov 2008, 20:42

I finally discovered that my great grandfather was naturalized after my grandfather's birth, which means that I cannot easily apply for dual citizenship. The grandmother on the other side was also born in Italy, but naturalized before having my father as well.

My question is whether or not it is still possible for me to apply for citizenship after 2+ years of residency in Italy. I'm considering looking for a job there, since I am already studying in Europe, but this information would be helpful in my decision. The embassy and consulate websites do not offer detailed information on this particular possibility, it is just briefly mentioned. Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks,
Lisa

tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Naturalization for Italian descendent through residency?

Postby tonyric » 23 Nov 2008, 22:42

Why can't you go for dual-citizenship? If your great-grandfather was naturalized after your grandfathers birth, then you should qualify. Or is there a date issue at hand if your grandfather were a minor?

ldecerchio

Postby ldecerchio » 23 Nov 2008, 22:48

Apparently I'm so confused by the whole process...sorry, I mean that he was naturalized BEFORE my grandfather was born. I assume Italian residency is my only option?

Thanks,
Lisa

tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Postby tonyric » 23 Nov 2008, 23:08

It appears so if you are correct that he was naturalized before your grandfather was born. But since you are only 2 generations removed you could qualify for the residency reduction from 3 years to 2 years.

ldecerchio

Postby ldecerchio » 24 Nov 2008, 13:35

Since he was naturalized BEFORE my grandfather, doesnt that make me 3 degrees from him? Or does the naturalization not matter for residency??

Thanks,
Lisa

matta
Rookie
Rookie

Postby matta » 24 Nov 2008, 23:33

ldecerchio wrote:Since he was naturalized BEFORE my grandfather, doesnt that make me 3 degrees from him? Or does the naturalization not matter for residency??

Thanks,
Lisa

I answered your post on ICGS...

Your great grandfather is 3 degrees removed, it would take 10 years of residency to gain citizenship. Your grandmother is 2 degrees removed, so because of her, you can gain citizenship through residency in 3 years (apply after the second year but before the third). It's the number of degrees from an Italian citizen that naturalized (you are 0 degrees, your parents are 1 degree, your grandparents are 2 degrees, your great grandparents are 3 degrees).

I'm not sure what the other poster is talking about with a reduction from 3 years to 2 years.

According to the London Embassy's website, it's:

- 1 year for former Italian citizens that lost citizenship through naturalization
- 3 years for those who lost citizenship through naturalization up to the 2nd degree and for non-Italians born in Italy
- 4 years for citizens of other EU member states
- 5 years for refugees
- 7 years for non-Italian adoptees of Italian nationals
- 10 years for all else

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”