Birth cert from state/provincial archive rather than comune?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
kmaldo

Birth cert from state/provincial archive rather than comune?

Postby kmaldo » 02 Dec 2008, 04:22

I am having some trouble obtaining my GGFs birth certificate/l'estratto dell'atto di nascita from the comune and am wondering if anyone happens to know whether I can request an official certificate from the state/province instead? This is for dual citizenship purposes.

The problem is that the comune's pre-1900 registries were destroyed in an earthquake, which they informed me via email upon receiving my request.

However, I found the copy of the relevant registry on LDS microfilm. My understanding is that LDS did the microfilming at state archives (in this case, Avellino), not at each individual comune. It appears that LDS completed this several years after the earthquake so it is reasonable to assume that the registry still exists intact at the state archive.

I emailed the comune back a few weeks ago asking them this very question, and even attached pdf's of my GGFs birth entry from the registry, but I haven't heard from them. Calling them is not really an option since my Italian is very rudimentary.

If anyone has any information/advice, I would appreciate it tremendously...thank you in advance!!

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Birth cert from state/provincial archive rather than com

Postby PeterTimber » 02 Dec 2008, 05:28

Dear Kmaldo Your probably better off writing directly to the Provincial Archives and use a "proper" form letter in Italian language, Go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html =Peter=

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Birth cert from state/provincial archive rather than com

Postby Italysearcher » 08 Dec 2008, 19:28

Give me the information and I will call them for you.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”