Apply Jure Sanguinis IN ITALY?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
pazzabella

Apply Jure Sanguinis IN ITALY?

Postby pazzabella » 03 Dec 2008, 20:18

Hi everyone!

I have all the documents I need but I keep reading stories about how long it takes to get it through the embassies and consulates in the States. A friend told me he knew someone who took all the paperwork directly to Italy and had citizenship within a few days.

Has anyone else done that or know of anyone who has? I could make it over in January, if it is possible.

Thanks for your help!

pazzabella

Re: Apply Jure Sanguinis IN ITALY?

Postby pazzabella » 03 Dec 2008, 20:19

By the way, "it" is Italian citizenship by "jure sanguinis." My father is also still alive. Would he have to apply before me?
Thanks!

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 03 Dec 2008, 21:59

I believe you must establish residency before you can apply in Italy. Some consulates are better than others, so don't give up on doing it here.

No, it's not necessary for your dad to apply first.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 04 Dec 2008, 01:48

pazzabella wrote:Hi everyone!

I have all the documents I need but I keep reading stories about how long it takes to get it through the embassies and consulates in the States. A friend told me he knew someone who took all the paperwork directly to Italy and had citizenship within a few days.

Has anyone else done that or know of anyone who has? I could make it over in January, if it is possible.

Thanks for your help!

Which consulate would you be applying through? Some are processing applications with remarkable speed (recent NY applicants, myself included, have had their applications approved in just 2 to 4 weeks!); unfortunately some other consulates would make good material for a Stephen King horror novel...

pazzabella

Postby pazzabella » 04 Dec 2008, 02:21

I live in MD so my consulate would be Philly. I haven't had great luck through them so far...

And there's no way around it right? You have to go to your region's consulate?

By the way, thank you for such speedy replies!

matta
Rookie
Rookie

Postby matta » 04 Dec 2008, 04:46

pazzabella wrote:I live in MD so my consulate would be Philly. I haven't had great luck through them so far...

And there's no way around it right? You have to go to your region's consulate?

By the way, thank you for such speedy replies!

The only way "around" it is to establish residency in another consulate region. The requirement to demonstrate residency would be a driver's license, lease/mortgage, or utility bill.

If you have family in another consulate region, you could try to use their address to get a license. The downside is that the new state will require you to file (and pay) state income tax, as you'd be a legal resident there. So, unless you want to pay additional tax, find a state with a lower (or no) income tax. The only state that will issue you a new license and let you keep your old (thereby establishing residency in two states) is Florida. The problem is that the Miami consulate is one of the toughest to get through in the US (the woman there is very strict).

If you don't mind spending some money, you could instead rent an apartment on a month-to-month lease in another region. It could be a place that's falling apart - you'd just have to visit to sign the lease right before your appointment, then cancel the lease right after your appointment.

pazzabella

Postby pazzabella » 04 Dec 2008, 04:53

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Johnnyonthespot, I have a question for you based on what matta said. I have family in the region with NY as its consulate. Does NY require all of the forms to be translated into Italian?

Thanks!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 04 Dec 2008, 07:21

pazzabella wrote:Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Johnnyonthespot, I have a question for you based on what matta said. I have family in the region with NY as its consulate. Does NY require all of the forms to be translated into Italian?

Thanks!

Below is a list of the documents I provided with my NYC application. Note that I was going through mself -> US-borm father -> Italy-born grandfather.

- grandfather's Italian birth certificate (Estratto dai registri degli atti di nascita)
- grandfather's Italian marriage certificate (Estratto dai registri degli atti di matrimonio)
- grandfather's NY death certificate, certified copy with apostille
- grandfather's Declaration of Intent, Petition for Citizenship, and Oath of Allegiance
- grandfather's Declaration of Deceased Italian Ascendant (Form 4, completed by myself), notarized

- father's NJ birth certificate, certified copy with apostille
- father's NY marriage certificate, certified copy with apostille
- father's FL death certificate, certified copy with apostille
- father's Declaration of Deceased Italian Ascendant, notarized

- my own NY birth certificate, certified copy with apostille and Italian translation
- my own CT marriage certificate, certified copy with apostille and Italian translation
- my Application for Italian Citizenship Jure Sanguinis (Form 1)
- my Declaration of Applicant (Form 2)
- photocopies of my US Passport and CT driver's license (two copies)

As you can see, the only translations required were for my own birth and marriage certificates and that the translations did not need to be certified.

If there is a divorce in your direct line, the entire divorce decree must be translated; I believe this one *must* be a certified translation however. Not sure about this as it didn't apply in my case.

Keep in mind that the rules are always in a state of flux. When I started gathering documents, NYC did not require any translations for routine birth/marriage certificates; by the time I filed my application in June, 2008, the rule had changed.

Regarding Philly, I have read many reports of recent positive experiences there. Take a look at this board for several examples.

pazzabella

Postby pazzabella » 04 Dec 2008, 07:29

Thank you so much! This gives me a lot to look into, but for now I appreciate all of your help!

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 04 Dec 2008, 17:42

You can probably avoid getting the driver's license. My son has a NJ license, but his lease was enough to establish residency. Perhaps one of your relatives can give you a lease. Since the lease would only be seen by the consulate, it should not affect your tax situation.

Also, if you're thinking NY, you may want to schedule an appointment asap.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”