Two questions

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
Posts: 56
Joined: 05 Aug 2008, 07:22

Two questions

Postby phil100a » 08 Dec 2008, 21:51

Hope everyone is well.

1) I am working my way through USCIS (started Oct, 1) to first, locate my GF's Naturalization Certificate, and then procure a copy. It's a two step process that they promise will take no more than 8 weeks for each step. It's now almost 10 weeks, and no response. Has anyone else dealt with the "new" system? How long does it *really* take, aside form USCIS promises? I've seen some posts stating only 4 weeks, but I'm wondering whether the system is starting to clog with new requests.

2) I've just come to realize that my GF's stated birthplace (Caltanissetta) on his Naturalization Certificate may be DIFFERENT than his actual birthplace, in Sicily (a wonderful genealogist located here (Rafaella) has helped me discover that he was probably born in Catollica Eraclea, near Agrigento) (although I have only seen his petition, and various census data - I don't have the actual Certificate, yet, although I think this may end up being the case, because every document I've seen - from ship's manifest, to naturalization petition, to death certificate {that NY officials said can be easily changed, on request, with proper evidence) shows his birthplace mistakenly as Caltanissetta). This has been quite a ride!

This leads to my second question: If my GF's Naturalization Certificate (assuming that USCIS every gets it to me - the delays are frustrating!) states his birthplace as Caltanissetta, do I need to change it (god forbid!!, given the pace that USCIS works), or is there some other means I can use that will not frustrate my application for dual citizenship? Do the Consulates need to have consistency on the Naturalization Certificate, even if everything else is in order?

My appointment with the Consulate isn't until March, 2010, so I have time, but given the pace at which some of these things take place, I'm concerned that delays and administrative errors may frustrate my efforts.

Any help or information isi greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Cheers, and Happy Holidays!

User avatar
Posts: 1877
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY

Re: Two questions

Postby ricbru » 08 Dec 2008, 22:06

I know you can make amendament on US marriage and death record, to change eventually the spelling of last names and names, using as a proof the official version of italian birth certificate, but I never heard about amendament on Naturalization certificate!!! I don't know but I don't think you can make amendament on it
What USA law states about that?

User avatar
Posts: 68
Joined: 05 Sep 2008, 01:31

Re: Two questions

Postby matta » 09 Dec 2008, 00:31

The USCIS process is pretty quick. I had a response in 4 weeks for the first step, and others have reported a 6-8 week turnaround on the seond step (I'm waiting for a certificate of non-existence, which is now on week 12).

The thing about US Naturalization Certificates is that they can't be changed. You just have to take what they give you and hope the consulate accepts it. What I would do in your situation is send a letter specifying the place of birth, then present the letter along with the certificate to the consulate. Then you could make the argument that the USCIS considers these to be the same person.

You might not have to worry about it, though. The naturalization certificates I have do not list the place of birth.

ricbru wrote:I know you can make amendament on US marriage and death record, to change eventually the spelling of last names and names, using as a proof the official version of italian birth certificate...

The process to amend a US marriage, birth, and death records varies from state to state and document to document. For example, in NY you can amend a death record with evidence of the discrepancy, while in PA you need a court order from a judge. In PA you can amend a death record with an order from any judge, but you can only amend a marriage record with an order from the specific court that issued the original document.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests