Detailed Dual Citizenship Documentation Question!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mestx41

Detailed Dual Citizenship Documentation Question!

Postby mestx41 » 02 Jan 2009, 20:42

Hi all I appreciate the help. I am nearly done compiling all my documents to apply for dual citizenship and have a critical question. I am going through my maternal great grandfather (mothers fathers father)...do I need to get an apostille and translation of 1) My grandmothers (alive) birth certificate 2) My great grandmothers (deceased) birth certificate and death certificate 3) My fathers (alive) birth certificate...I have all these documents and they are certified I am only wondering about apostille and translation as these people are not technically part of the lineage I am going through.

Thanks Again.

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Detailed Dual Citizenship Documentation Question!

Postby ricbru » 02 Jan 2009, 21:24

Hellom
you need to put apostille to all civil records that are not italian, the apostilles is a kind of seal that validates the documents abroad.
Since all these documents will go to Italy, all those papers from abroad of Italy needs it
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 02 Jan 2009, 21:33

mestx41 wrote:Hi all I appreciate the help. I am nearly done compiling all my documents to apply for dual citizenship and have a critical question. I am going through my maternal great grandfather (mothers fathers father)...do I need to get an apostille and translation of 1) My grandmothers (alive) birth certificate 2) My great grandmothers (deceased) birth certificate and death certificate 3) My fathers (alive) birth certificate...I have all these documents and they are certified I am only wondering about apostille and translation as these people are not technically part of the lineage I am going through.

Thanks Again.

In addition to Riccardo's comments, which consulate are you applying through?

The requirements in regards to translations vary by consulate. As of this past summer, New York City required that only documents pertaining to yourself (*your* birth ertificate, *your* marriage certificate, etc) be translated and the translations could be performed by anyone and be in any format. Other consulates have stricter rules, requiring the use of certified translators chosen from a consulate-supplied list, for example.

In all cases that I am aware of, the rules for translation of divorce documents are much more severe.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 03 Jan 2009, 02:21

I will add that Newark is another consulate that requires documents only from the direct line. In both Newark and NY, certified translators are listed on the site, but "self" translations are accepted. It's really important to know the consulate through which you will apply. As Johnny notes, they are all different in terms of specific requirements.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”