Relative went missing??

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
nrepole
Veteran
Veteran

Relative went missing??

Postby nrepole » 03 Jan 2009, 02:17

Hi all

On the Ellis Island website I found out that on the 16th Nov, 1904 a Giuseppe Repole departed from Naples on the S.S. Napolitan Prince and arrived at the port of New York in Dec, 1904. He was listed as being 26 years old, married, last residence as Rapone (Italy), final destination being New York. He had never been to the US previously and was joining his brother Michele who lived at ?309 N.42 St, New York.

Now, I cannot find any other information on this Giuseppe Repole. I am quite sure that he did remain in the US, but he does not seem to bob up on any of the usuals like WWI draft reg cards, census etc

Is there a way to ask for a death record in the US or some other way to find out what happened to him.

Regards,
Nick Repole

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Relative went missing??

Postby PeterTimber » 03 Jan 2009, 05:43

Since you do not have anyway of knowing if Giuseppe returned to Italy you might want to send a form letter to the census office Anagrafe in Rapone and ask if there is a record for Giuseppe after 1904 residing in Rapone.

Go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/it ... tters.html and tailor the form letter for the Anagrafe =Census office which,is attached to the Ufficio di Stato Civile for BMD in Rapone.

Go to www.nonsolocap.it and put in Rapone and then click on Rapone for municipal office address good for BMD and Census records. It has to be in Italian language.

Repole are few in numbers in the USA so if you go to www.numberway.com and send one letter to all Repole listed (12 or so) asking them if they know anything about Giuseppe. =Peter=

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 03 Jan 2009, 07:28

A possibility:

1920 United States Federal Census

Name: Joseph Repola
Home in 1920: Brooklyn Assembly District 3, Kings, New York
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1878
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1912
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 945

Year of birth is about right....
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

nrepole
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nrepole » 03 Jan 2009, 11:22

Thanks for the help so far.

I'm pretty sure Joseph Repola is not him - it seems to be the correct spelling for another person.

Regards,
Nick.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”