VIVONE AND CHARAVELLE FAMILY-ROVITO COSENZA

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
wandah

VIVONE AND CHARAVELLE FAMILY-ROVITO COSENZA

Postby wandah » 06 Jan 2009, 18:50

Hello everyone! I am researching my family tree and need lots of help!
My family ancestors were from Rovito Cosenza---Raffelina Charavelle, and Joseph Vivone. They emigrated to Canada I believe in 1904.
Their sons Alfredo Vivone and Franco Vivone emigrated on the ship Pesaro May 27.1920 . The ship went to Ellis Island? New York City and from there to Canada, where they settled in Port Arthur Ontario.

I want so much to know more about them!~ Joseph Vivone was a shoemaker.
Can anyone assist me in finding out any details? I hope I have spelled my grandmother's last name correctly.
Also, as a curious note, why did so many emigrate during that time? Was it the economy, war, any comments anyone?
I want to visit Italy this summer and for sure Rovito! But it would be so great to know more! Thank you to all for your help and I am trying to learn Italian :)

Biff83
Master
Master

Re: VIVONE AND CHARAVELLE FAMILY-ROVITO COSENZA

Postby Biff83 » 06 Jan 2009, 20:09

Hello and wecome to IG!

For reference, 1920 manifest, lines 4 to 6
Raffaela Chiaravalle and sons Francesco and Alfredo Vivone
Nearest relative in Italy: Raffaela's mother Luigina Arnieri
Destination: Port Arthur Canada to join husband/father Giuseppe
Page 1
Page 2

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 06 Jan 2009, 20:09

Dear Wandah if you wist to experience the pleasre of researching your own family genealogy free of charge then go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/fr ... earch.html

Of course we are here to answer any andall questions that may crop up in tfghe pursuit of your research objectives so its a win win situation for you,

1920 was just about one year and and a few months after the ww1 armistice on November 11, 1918. War broke out in 1914 in europe and transatlantic voyages between europe and the USA were disrupted. It was a time when immigration to the USA was being viewed negatively and families who were separated for the 6 years of wartime resumed their plans of immigrating to the USA, family reunions could take place and visits to and from europe resumed with vigor. =Peter=

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 06 Jan 2009, 20:14

Dear Wandah as to your inquiry of conditons in 1920 immigration to Canada and the USA go to www.whitepinepictures.com/seeds/iii/34/history2.html

I hope this gives you a feel for the times. =Peter=

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 06 Jan 2009, 20:23

1910 manifest for Giuseppe Vivona?, line 6
Age, 29
Last residence: Rovito
Birthplace: Cerzeto
Destination: Winnipeg to join father in law Francesco Chiaravalle
Nearest relative in Italy: wife Raffaela Chiaravalle
Previously in US or Canada 1902 to 1909
Page 1
Page 2

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 08 Jan 2009, 14:32

The Stato records for the province of Cosenza are being put online free at this official site

http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.fac ... 3FE8.node1

You have to register and it's free. Just put in the surname and search the province. New records are being added on a regular basis. You may also want to contact forum member Cathynap. She is the one that provided me this link and she is doing extensive research in Cosenza province.

Have a great day.

Elizabeth

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 08 Jan 2009, 19:22

Thank you =Peter=

ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Postby ChrisMosca » 08 Jan 2009, 22:58

wow that is great news about the online archive of the stato of cosenza, this should save me a few years of research my whole maternal grandparents came from there, thank for the news
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”