Ship's manifests: names lined out

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Ship's manifests: names lined out

Postby johnnyonthespot » 11 Jan 2009, 09:37

My maternal grandfather appears on the manifests of two different ships, both sailing from Naples exactly one month apart in 1909. I know they are the same person because every detail (age, residence, nearest releative, occupation, etc, etc) is identical.

On the first manifest, the line containing his name and details (as well as several others on the same page), has been "lined out" - presumably meaning that he left (or was removed from) the ship sometime after being registered into the passenger log but beofre sailing.

What might have been the reasons for this change?

pink67
Master
Master

Re: Ship's manifests: names lined out

Postby pink67 » 11 Jan 2009, 09:40

Hi!

this is very helpful guid for the manifest annotation:

http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/

Hope this helps!
Laura :D

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 11 Jan 2009, 15:08

The trip was changed because (being italian as you well know) somebody died, had a baby,is getting married,had a bad dream was told by somebody they had a bad dream, she changed her mind and then changed her mind again...etc etc etc=Peter=

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 11 Jan 2009, 15:49

PeterTimber wrote:The trip was changed because (being italian as you well know) somebody died, had a baby,is getting married,had a bad dream was told by somebody they had a bad dream, she changed her mind and then changed her mind again...etc etc etc=Peter=

Yes, I understand now.

I think, in my mind, the manifest was being filled out "real-time" as people were boarding the ship and, to then line some out, would indicate that they were removed from the ship for some reason.

I now understand that the manifest was more than likely filled in as people bought their tickets /or/ reserved space on the ship, and lining out a name more likely means that the person cancelled or simply did not get to the boat before sailing.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”