No Certificate of Naturalization, Other court docs suffice?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
giam0005

No Certificate of Naturalization, Other court docs suffice?

Postby giam0005 » 13 Jan 2009, 04:27

I perhaps foolishly, initially used a service to help me locate some naturalization documents. What I have is an Oath of Allegiance, Certificate of Arrival, Petition for Naturalization, and Declaration of Intent, but no certificate of naturalization. They all have raised seals and a notarized signature stating that they certify they are complete, true, and perfect copies.

My question is, will this be sufficient?? I was assured that this is all that I need. Now I am starting to get nervous as my appointment date approaches this March in Chicago.

Just in case, I have used the naturalization date and certificate number from the oath to apply directly for the certificate from USCIS G-1041A, bypassing the index search phase. Is there anything else I can do, anyone else I can contact to try to get the certificate of naturalization?? Is it really necessary? Your thoughts and input are very appreciated.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: No Certificate of Naturalization, Other court docs suffi

Postby johnnyonthespot » 13 Jan 2009, 07:55

giam0005 wrote:I perhaps foolishly, initially used a service to help me locate some naturalization documents. What I have is an Oath of Allegiance, Certificate of Arrival, Petition for Naturalization, and Declaration of Intent, but no certificate of naturalization. They all have raised seals and a notarized signature stating that they certify they are complete, true, and perfect copies.

My question is, will this be sufficient?? I was assured that this is all that I need. Now I am starting to get nervous as my appointment date approaches this March in Chicago.

Just in case, I have used the naturalization date and certificate number from the oath to apply directly for the certificate from USCIS G-1041A, bypassing the index search phase. Is there anything else I can do, anyone else I can contact to try to get the certificate of naturalization?? Is it really necessary? Your thoughts and input are very appreciated.

The New York City consolate accepts the Petition with the signed, dated, and numbered Oath of Allegiance; I believe most other consulates do as well.

If you want the certificate anyway, you can submit the G-1041A exactly as you described above. I did so in late August in regards to my maternal grandfather (for another project) and just received it a few days ago - about 4-1/2 months after *mailing* the request. Now that you can submit requests electronically maybe it will be a bit faster...

Two things:

1) Be absolutely certain that you request an electronic copy in addition to the printed copy. USCIS must own the world's worst printers; the documents they provide are nearly always totally useless (based on my own experience and that of others I have read in these forums). Simply printing the electronic copy on your own color printer will result in a much more legible document; playing with contrast and brightness first will improve things even further.

2) Uh-oh. I forget what number 2 was to be...

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”