Finding my GGF Naturalization Info

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Destin2BeItaliano

Finding my GGF Naturalization Info

Postby Destin2BeItaliano » 18 Jan 2009, 11:38

I requested an index search about 5 weeks ago for my GGF but I'm very impatient. Census records show he was still not a citizen in 1930 so I'm ok considering my grandfather was born in 1924 in the US. However, I've seen on many census records a persons Immigration number or Naturalization number written in and I'm curious if that is something that would have continued on the census records in 1950 and 1960? I was able to learn that my GGF's social security number was issued about 1951. That doesn't necessarily mean he had finally become a citizen after living here for 50+ years but its odd that he hadn't been assigned one previously for tax purposes since he had owned several businesses over the years and its assumed he would need one. My roomate is from South Africa and she has a social security card just like mine but hers says she's not a citizen so clearly he may not have ever been naturalized.

Other than the census records, I'm curious if I would be able to inquire directly with the Social Security Administration to find out if he was naturalized and if they have his immigrant/naturalization number on file. I know his social securty number so their search wouldn't be too hard.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how I can locate this information?

I'm surprised that there isn't a place for this on a death certificate. I downloaded a sample version of the current format used and it doesn't have a place. It doesn't even ask if someone is a citizen or not.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Finding my GGF Naturalization Info

Postby johnnyonthespot » 18 Jan 2009, 16:08

Destin2BeItaliano wrote:I requested an index search about 5 weeks ago for my GGF but I'm very impatient. Census records show he was still not a citizen in 1930 so I'm ok considering my grandfather was born in 1924 in the US. However, I've seen on many census records a persons Immigration number or Naturalization number written in and I'm curious if that is something that would have continued on the census records in 1950 and 1960? I was able to learn that my GGF's social security number was issued about 1951. That doesn't necessarily mean he had finally become a citizen after living here for 50+ years but its odd that he hadn't been assigned one previously for tax purposes since he had owned several businesses over the years and its assumed he would need one. My roomate is from South Africa and she has a social security card just like mine but hers says she's not a citizen so clearly he may not have ever been naturalized.

Other than the census records, I'm curious if I would be able to inquire directly with the Social Security Administration to find out if he was naturalized and if they have his immigrant/naturalization number on file. I know his social securty number so their search wouldn't be too hard.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how I can locate this information?

I'm surprised that there isn't a place for this on a death certificate. I downloaded a sample version of the current format used and it doesn't have a place. It doesn't even ask if someone is a citizen or not.

1) What state did he die in? You are going to need his death certificate anyway, so you might as well go ahead and get it. Every death certificate I have seen has a spot for "Citizen of the United States: Y/N" or "Citizen of _____". Although not always accurate, this is a good starting point.

2) Five weeks? Lot of luck. Four to six months would be a reasonable estimate at this time. Used to take up to two years under the old FOIA program, but the new system seems to be faster.

3) What state/county did he die in? Contact the county archives and/or the National Archives for that area. If he naturalized in a federal court, the National Archives will have copies of the records. If in state or county court, the county archives should have records. Either way, much, much, faster than waiting for USCIS.

4) You don't need to be a US citizen in order to obtain a social security card.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”