Family in different jurisdictions

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
criscal

Family in different jurisdictions

Postby criscal » 10 Feb 2009, 17:47

Buongiorno tutti,

I am collecting documents to apply for citizenship j.s. in Chicago, but my parents and sister live in Atlanta and will have to go to Miami from what I understand. I have seen another post suggesting that other family applying later could use your case number. Can anyone confirm if this is a viable option? I have only been ordering one set of documents and don't want to make them start over.

Another question: the application states that your marriage license is also required in certified copy. Is this only for the applicant or the ascendants also?

I have an appointment in four months. My concerns at this point are getting the birth cert from Italy and making corrections on documents from PA and MD. I am going to skip the first name misspelling on my ggf's naturalization cert. He was illiterate and signed it Vingenzo.

Thanks for all your comments - this forum is incredibly helpful.

jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Family in different jurisdictions

Postby jcat » 10 Feb 2009, 18:13

Another question: the application states that your marriage license is also required in certified copy. Is this only for the applicant or the ascendants also?

the marriage certificates for all in the direct line will be required.
jamescatizoneitaliandualcitizenship.com

criscal

Postby criscal » 10 Feb 2009, 18:24

Sorry, I should clarify. The requirements state,

If your marriage certificate lacks information such as dates and places of birth, you must also obtain a certified copy of the marriage application/license

I have my marriage certificate and those of my parents and grandparents. Do I also need their marriage licenses? None of the certificates include place of birth.

jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jcat » 10 Feb 2009, 18:38

as long as you have the long form certified copy from the state I would think that should suffice. Also an Apostille for each and each document from the US needs translation except for naturalization papers. I would also try and direct this concern to the consulate that you will be applying through as each seem to differ in what they require.
jamescatizoneitaliandualcitizenship.com

bsctky21

Postby bsctky21 » 24 Feb 2009, 08:52

I have a similar situation. I'm applying in Tokyo, first, with the rest of my family applying in San Francisco and L.A. later on. After a lot of run around between the 3 consulates, I finally got the same answer from all of them - you can share, sometimes.

If the generations apply in order, all documents can be shared. If you apply out of order, like a child applying before a parent, the parent will have to resubmit documents on themselves when they apply. You can't share in that case.

Here's the problem you run into when applying out of order. When you, the child, apply, the original docs you supply on your ancestors are stored in the consulate you apply at FOREVER...and can never be removed :twisted: ! On the other hand, the original docs you submit on yourself are forward on to the comune in Italy for registration and only copies are kept at the consulate.

Now, when your parent applies, a request will be made by your parent's consulate (via a copy of your "attestato di riconoscimento") to your consulate to share documents. Your consulate, who holds the originals, can make certified copies for sharing, but they cannot forward the originals your parent will need on themselves to have forwarded to Italy.

Why these rules? I don't know, but they appear to be absolute. So, if you're on a budget or have the time to spare, you could wait for your parent to apply first. Otherwise, just pay the extra money for the docs and go for it!

criscal

Postby criscal » 24 Feb 2009, 14:48

Thanks for the wondeful clarification! I am not willing to wait for my mother to apply in Miami with a year wait. I made my appointment in Chicago with a five month wait.

I plan to bring an extra copy of all the documents to my appointment and ask them if they can let me keep the originals or otherwise certify on the copy that they received the originals. I will give the originals or certified copy to my mother and sister to use.

Another twist on my situation is that I am eligible through both sides of my family. I am applying through my maternal side, but for my parents sake I may get their documents from my father's side so that my mother is automatically granted citizenship since they were married back in '72. Otherwise, my father would have to apply for citizenship by marriage after my mother is recognized. Does anyone have insight on this?

So far I feel very fortunate that I have been able to get all of my documents and have received timely responses from the comuni and archivio di stato in two provinces.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”