Links for Information

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
barbarasprufera
Rookie
Rookie

Links for Information

Postby barbarasprufera » 18 Feb 2009, 01:58

Hello....
I am new to this site, and those whom I have spoken with in the last day have been so helpful!! Thank you! Some links were provided that have helped me find additional information. Is there a list of links that are available? If so, where may I find them? I have browsed through the forums and found a couple that were very helpful. I am trying to track down my father's family who we have verified has more than one spelling of the last name - which has made all this very confusing.
Any help in guiding me to information links would be very much appreciated.
Thank you for a great board!
Barbara Sprufera

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Links for Information

Postby johnnyonthespot » 18 Feb 2009, 11:46

barbarasprufera wrote:Hello....
I am new to this site, and those whom I have spoken with in the last day have been so helpful!! Thank you! Some links were provided that have helped me find additional information. Is there a list of links that are available? If so, where may I find them? I have browsed through the forums and found a couple that were very helpful. I am trying to track down my father's family who we have verified has more than one spelling of the last name - which has made all this very confusing.
Any help in guiding me to information links would be very much appreciated.
Thank you for a great board!
Barbara Sprufera

Hi Barbara,

I am not aware of a list of links, but here a few useful ones:

Italian telephone directory

Tool for mapping Italian surnames in Italy and the US

Note, by the way, that if one were to believe both of the above, the name "Sprufera" is non-existent throughout Italy and nearly so in the US (can we presume that you live in New York or Georgia?).

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 18 Feb 2009, 11:56

Nuccia and I are both working on a complete list of links, in the meantime
check out the following....not all links lead to actual databases, and one can get lost in the process......but very worthwhile.
wldspirit

Cindy's List of Genealogy Sites

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

barbarasprufera
Rookie
Rookie

Postby barbarasprufera » 18 Feb 2009, 12:55

Thank you!
Yes, I have found the name Sprufera to have several variations and was changed at some point - as some of my confirmed relatives go by Sprofera. That is part of the huge puzzle we are trying to figure out, why, when and where did the name take place.

The original Sprufera's settled in NYC / Manhattan area. My father who is part of that family moved to Texas - DFW area. There are also Sprufera's who are direct relations living in LA, SC too. I do not know of any in GA?

I will use the information that you have provided and will also watch for Nuccia and Wldsprt's future list. Great website - everyone here has been very helpful!

jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jcat » 18 Feb 2009, 19:46

hi, This site has many informative links that you may find useful.
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/index.html
jamescatizoneitaliandualcitizenship.com

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”