dyer's helper

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
settete

dyer's helper

Postby settete » 21 Feb 2009, 18:27

I can't understand what kind of work is the dyer's helper.
I think it was done on silk.
Thank you
carlo

Biff83
Master
Master

Re: dyer's helper

Postby Biff83 » 21 Feb 2009, 20:06

http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/twhp/wwwl ... facts1.htm
"Silk is a natural fiber taken from the cocoons of the silk worm. The silk fibers are so fine that a single pound might measure 1,000 to 1,500 miles or even more. All raw silk used in Paterson was imported, principally from China, Japan, and Italy. The process of producing silk fabrics was divided into four stages: throwing (twisting the silk fibers into threads strong enough to be used in the looms), dyeing, weaving, and finishing. In 1913, Paterson dominated the weaving of high quality broad silk and ribbon.¹

Paterson's share in the silk dyeing industry was expanding. In the dye houses, workers dipped skeins (length of thread wound in a loose long coil) of silk thread and pieces of fabric into large vats of hot chemicals. Almost all of the workers were men. Master dyers, many from traditional silk centers like Lyons, France, or Como, Italy, were highly skilled craftsmen. Dyers' helpers were generally unskilled and low paid. Italian dye house workers had a reputation for being political radicals."

See second picture.
http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/twhp/wwwl ... isual1.htm

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

settete

Re: dyer's helper

Postby settete » 21 Feb 2009, 22:07

Thank you Biff. I've got a bit more culture.
Carlo

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”