HELP! How to obtain Naturalization Records/No Records Found

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
hollyolly7
Rookie
Rookie

HELP! How to obtain Naturalization Records/No Records Found

Postby hollyolly7 » 27 Feb 2009, 22:23

Help!
I am desparately trying to find my great grandfathers naturalization record or get a no records found! He came in 1901 from Italy and my grandmother was born in 1915 so I am looking from the period 1901-1916. I received a letter from NARA stating that they didn't find anything. Now what? Does anyone know the procedure? Thanks in advance!
Holly

jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Re: HELP! How to obtain Naturalization Records/No Records Fo

Postby jcat » 28 Feb 2009, 00:58

Hi, The naturalization papers can be a tricky document to track down.A no records found from the NARA does not necessarily mean that he never did naturalize. Are you looking to obtain dual citizenship ? If so, do you know if you yet qualify ? Do you have any idea if he ever did naturalize? Have you tried the free trial at ancestry.com, there they will have the 1910,1920 & 1930 US Census reports. There you can see what his citizenship status at that time was, and also you can view the ship's manifest that he came over on. The more info you can provide here, the more people here can pitch in with their responses. Also, try contacting the County clerks office in which he resided as they sometimes have naturalization papers on file if it was done locally in Supreme Court and if not there, try the district court in which he resided. There is the USCIS which also has naturalization records, and if you are going for dual citizenship this is the copy that you will need to show in most cases at any consulate.
jamescatizoneitaliandualcitizenship.com

jacobarber
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jacobarber » 28 Feb 2009, 01:04

the only department that can give you a certified statement of No Record is the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. You will likely have to send your letter to the USCIS so they can take and create a certified document saying that no record was found.

check here: http://tinyurl.com/bncxmo
go down to the section that says "Should I Submit Record Request?" and read where it mentions a No Records response. Best bet is to contact them and get more specific instructions, but you're on the right track

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby VaDeb » 28 Feb 2009, 05:50

Just a reminder, there is no central record collection of naturalizations that occured before 1906. They can be recorded in a local, state, district or federal court. After 1906 all natualizations were sent to USCIS.

Debbie

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”