Filing for Italian Citizenship while living abroad

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Tiffany

Filing for Italian Citizenship while living abroad

Postby Tiffany » 01 Mar 2009, 19:49

I was wondering if anybody could provide some advice/guidance regarding the process for filing for Italian citizenship if one is legally residing outside one's home country. I am a US citizen, residing in Denmark. My regular consulate would be the one in Los Angeles, and due to their volume, I have heard it can take up to two years to get the paperwork through. I am prepared to wait and know I will have to be patient - as with the technique I had to employ getting documents from Italy. However, I was wondering if I could take advantage of the fact that I am living in Denmark and use the Italian consulate here instead. I'm thinking they might not have the volume of traffic that the one in Los Angeles, CA has.
Thoughts??

Thanks!

Surnames: Di Paola, Mazzaccaro and Vitale

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Filing for Italian Citizenship while living abroad

Postby PeterTimber » 02 Mar 2009, 00:20

If you were an Italian citizen and permanent resident alien inthe USA you could go to the Italian Consulate in Denmark and request a new Italian Passport. Since you are an American Citizen and applying for an Italian Passport it would appear that you have the same right to make the same request since you are claiming Italian citizenship. =Peter=
~Peter~

Tiffany

Postby Tiffany » 02 Mar 2009, 10:29

Thank you for your input!

bsctky21

Postby bsctky21 » 03 Mar 2009, 08:58

I'm in the same situation as you. I'm a U.S. citizen residing in Japan and Japan is where I applied for my Italian citizenship. Not only can you apply in Denmark, you technically are supposed to. It worked out great for me. I got to avoid the long waits at the consulates in the U.S. and I got very personalized help from the embassy staff here in Tokyo.

Tiffany

Postby Tiffany » 03 Mar 2009, 09:02

Great news! Thank you so much!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”