Looking for Italian family Mercoli moved to Odessa in 1922

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Prontiol

Looking for Italian family Mercoli moved to Odessa in 1922

Postby Prontiol » 15 Mar 2009, 15:17

In 1921-1922, Italian family of Mercoli (Merzoli?) moved to Odessa, USSR.
17 January 1923 a girl Emilia was born in this family. Her parents were lost, we don't know much details about them, and Emilia was sent to children's home. She was adopted by a woman from Moscow with surname Kotova-Azolina and lives here now.
We're looking for her family, but with no luck.
Could someone help with that? Any hints? Suggestions?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Italian family Mercoli moved to Odessa in 19

Postby PeterTimber » 15 Mar 2009, 16:59

When you say "AND LIVES HERE NOW" you mean you live in Russia as well? =Peter=
~Peter~

Prontiol

Postby Prontiol » 15 Mar 2009, 17:05

Oh, sorry.
I used to say "here" for Moscow. Yes, I do live in Moscow, Russia too.
I'm just trying to figure out, how to get any information about Mercoli moved to Odessa that years.
Actually, i'm not even sure about the spelling of the surname. It sounds like "mertsolli" and i'm not sure how was it spelled in Italian.

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 15 Mar 2009, 17:14

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I found a site for researching Russian Roots (I know you're looking for Italian roots), however, if you look at the available links on this site you will see that all of the Russian archives are listed with contact information. If you contact one of the archives they should be able to direct you to the appropriate place to find records of Italians coming to Russia during the 1920's.

http://www.mtu-net.ru/rrr/russia.htm

The Mercoli's entry had to be documented. Even if multiple Mercoli's entered it should list where in Italy they were from. This should narrow things down a bit.

Keep in mind that Italian women kept their maiden names so Mr. Mercoli's wife would not be surnamed Mercoli.

I did look at Merzoli's (none found) and Mercoli's arriving in the USA (just to see how many came here and where they were from in Italy). I found very few Mercoli's (less then 10) and here is where they were from

Arcevia, province: Ancona - region: Marche

Alvignano, province: Caserta - region: Campania

also 1 Mercoli from the province of Bologna - region: Emilia-Romagna

Here is a link to a map that will show you the regions in Italy

http://www.italiantourism.com/regions.html

If I had to guess I would say that Marche or Emilia-Romagna would be the region(s) you will find Emilia's parents coming from. But again, that is a guess.

Do you know Emilia's fathers name or her mothers first and/or last name?

I wish I could help you more but maybe another forum member will have some solid advice for you. Please keep us updated on your findings and I'll keep looking for better resources that might assist you.

Regards,
Elizabeth

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 15 Mar 2009, 17:29

Dear Prontiol perhaps you might wish to contact a travel agency in Odessa that makes telephone calls for about $20.00 (US currency) in the event that you do not wish to speak with the Kotova-Azolina people directly. Their website is www.visit2Odessa.com/prices.html

Once we have the correct spelling all that is required is to send one letter to the persons in Italy bearing that same surname in the event that we cannot locate the relatives of the family directly. Needless to say we will get to them!

Should you elect to send an e-mail to the agency in odessa it is ganezh@visit2odessa.com but I am not sure if this will work from Russia to the Ukraine. =Peter=
~Peter~

Prontiol

Postby Prontiol » 15 Mar 2009, 17:37

Thank you very much, Elizabeth & Peter!
I will try to contact "Researching Russian Roots" archives to find out more information about Kotova-Azolina.

By the way, is it easy to locate people with specific surname in the whole Italy? Wouldn't it be hundreds or thousands of them?

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Postby BillieDeKid » 15 Mar 2009, 17:43

Prontiol wrote:Thank you very much, Elizabeth & Peter!
I will try to contact "Researching Russian Roots" archives to find out more information about Kotova-Azolina.

By the way, is it easy to locate people with specific surname in the whole Italy? Wouldn't it be hundreds or thousands of them?

If you can determine the fathers name and the actual town that he was from then it is not hard to research. If you only have a surname it could be quite difficult as the surname could be all over Italy.

Please let us know if you have any luck with the russian archives link.

All the best.
Elizabeth

Prontiol

Postby Prontiol » 15 Mar 2009, 17:46

Ok, i will try to find this information.
And thanks for your help.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 15 Mar 2009, 18:35

Dear Prontiol judging from the phonetics of the Mercoli surname there does not appear to be many persons using that surname or similar. There are about 20 cities towns and villages in Italy that have persons bearing that surname. You can click on the dots for the regionand provinces.

If you are interested you can see for yourself by going to www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi and put in the upper left hand side the name of MERCOLI as an example and click the arrow alongside and you will see a map of Italy with the surname distribution so that you can see what we are talking about. =Peter=
~Peter~

gmercoli

Postby gmercoli » 02 Sep 2009, 17:02

I have also been researching the Mercoli name in Italy through many different avenues. My name is Gene Mercoli and my great-grandfather immigrated from Arcevia, Italy in 1909. He came to America with many sons and daughters. I have found his immigration report here in America. I am one of very few left here in America with the Mercoli surname. My great-grandfather, his wife, sons and daughters are all buried in a single large underground tomb. As many as 20 relatives are all buried together. I have posted a picture.

My interest with your post is Arcevia, Italy. I know for a fact this is where he came from. He brought with him a framed Mercoli surname coat of arms with the Mercoli heritage described on it. It is very interesting. It also mentions Bologna, Italy.

I have reached out to many Mercoli's in Europe and most are convinced that the Mercoli surname originates from Mugena, Switzerland. I do not believe this due to my research. I believe many have settled there but it may be a different Mercoli clan.

If you would like to know more of my research and heritage to the Mercoli surname and Arcevia, Italy let me know.

Regards, Gene Mercoli

fullons

Postby fullons » 06 Oct 2009, 12:09

My grandmother is Josefina Mercoli, 88 years old.
Their grandfathres came from Lombardia

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”