Alario & Celestino

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
19 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Alario & Celestino

Postby Eilsel » 16 Mar 2009, 21:58

Greetings!

Just began researching my family again after a long hiatus and am seeking advice on looking for immigration information.

"Joseph Alario" from Palermo was my great-grandfather. On the 1910 US Census, it lists him as entering the US in 1908, on the 1920 it says 1901, and on the 1930 it says 1900. On the Ellis Island site, I have found a manifest from the ship "Chateau Yquem" in the year 1900 that lists a "Giuseppe Alario" accompanied by his wife, Maria, and three children, with ages that match data I have. I cannot find any other manifest that even remotely matches the information I was given by my grandmother. Is this a good bet, or is there anywhere else I could go to find passenger information on the internet?

As for "Serafino Celestino," my grandmother's father, I am in the same situation. The 1910 census has an 1884 entry, the 1920 has 1882, and of course, the 1930 has 1883. I tried to find a 1900 census for him, but to no avail. I do have his Petition for Naturalization and hopefully can get to an LDS library sometime in the future. He and his wife Rachael were married in Calabria before immigrating with their three children. I have tried looking for him on the Castle Garden web site, but no one possible comes up.

Thank you so much for any help that you all can give! I am very excited to have found this site and will continue to visit.

In Peace,

Leslie
Eilsel

Re: JOSEPH ALARIO & SERAFINO CELESTINO

Postby vj » 17 Mar 2009, 14:07

Hello Leslie!

It is possible that your family arrived thru a port other than New York
(unless the Naturalization paperwork you have states otherwise)

ancestry. com, I believe has the largest collection of transcribed manifests - including New York before 1892.

If you don’t have a subscription (and don’t use it at your local library), with a few more details perhaps we could help you look?
It would help to know approx birth year, where they were traveling from, where they were going in the US, etc
Rachael may have been traveling under her maiden name, especially if she arrived after Serafino

Thank you,
Valarie
vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 17 Mar 2009, 15:57

[quote=]tried to find a 1900 census for him, but to no avail[/quote]

Hey Leslie,
If this is the 1900 census you’re looking for, it has yet another arrival date
If daughter Lizzie was born in Italy in 1887, it may help to narrow it down a bit.
Valarie

transcription & image from ancestry. com
(click here) possible 1900 census

Home in 1900:
295 Elizabeth Street
Manhattan, New York, New York

Sarafino Gelesteano 38
Racalu Gelesteano 35
Lizzie Gelesteano 13
Masmeno Gelesteano 10
Mamie Gelesteano 7
Ateleo Gelesteano 5
Assellia Gelesteano 3
vj
Master
Master

Postby wldspirit » 17 Mar 2009, 17:52

"Joseph Alario" from Palermo was my great-grandfather. On the 1910 US Census, it lists him as entering the US in 1908, on the 1920 it says 1901, and on the 1930 it says 1900. On the Ellis Island site, I have found a manifest from the ship "Chateau Yquem" in the year 1900 that lists a "Giuseppe Alario" accompanied by his wife, Maria, and three children, with ages that match data I have.

Keep in mind that memories do fade, and that census information can be used as a guide for further clues, but is not always 100% accurate. It is only considered to be a primary record in the absence of all other primary records.

As for the manifest of Joseph, it's a matter of deduction. Does all the data fit? Do you know Maria's maiden name? Is she listed under this name, in Italy women retain the use of their maiden name for life, even after marriage. Which is why most women are listed this way in manifest.
Each name of the children? Year of birth and ages? Final destination? Names of relatives or friends? The town/area from which they came? Sometimes you have to mark a record as a "possibility" until you have other supporting evidence. Did he naturalize? This paperwork may contain notations to confirm your manifest find.

Is it possible he made more than one trip? Quite common to see several trips back and forth.

Joseph is the American version of Giuseppe, so any manifest will list his given name, not his nickname.

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby Eilsel » 17 Mar 2009, 18:38

Wow, Valarie! Great sleuthing! That looks like it could be them, so thank you so much! I do have an ancestry.com subscription and I love it. :)

Just to fill in, Rachael's maiden name was Cribari, my grandmother told me they were married in Calabria, and they came through Castle Garden when they immigrated. Most of my Alario relatives settled in Brooklyn, NY and stayed there until death. Serafino's birth year on the 1900 census is what I have.

I'm definitely learning that census info is kinda quirky, wldspirit! The data mostly fits, which is why I am keeping them as potentials. Maria's maiden name was Monteleone and on the manifest I have it looks like the data taker made a weak attempt at it. Thank you for the education on Italian maiden names. I wasn't aware of that!

The names and ages of the children on the censuses are pretty close matches to the information my grandmother gave to me. I have to ask my aunt if she can think of any relatives they may have lived with at first. I haven't pinned down any naturalization information about him yet.

Joseph is the American version of Giuseppe, so any manifest will list his given name, not his nickname.

This is why I am curious about the manifest I found, so thank you for confirming that Joseph could be Giuseppe.

Thank you both again for your kindness!

In Peace,

Leslie
Eilsel

Re: Alario & Celestino

Postby Eilsel » 07 Apr 2009, 18:07

Me again! :)

I've found a lot of information since my last post, but am truly stuck now and hope someone may give me advice on how to proceed.

I've poured over manifest after manifest in hopes of finding my great grandfather and his family's journey from Italy to the US. His name was Angelo Serafino Vittorio Celestino (b. 1861); his wife was Rachela Barbeti Palma Cribari (b. 1864); and in 1887 a daughter was born in Gesuiti, Cosenza, Italy named Latizia Maria Aqualina Celestino.

By the year 1900, they are listed on the census for Manhattan, New York. So, I've been searching manifests from 1887 to 1900 in hopes of finding them, but to no avail. I swear I'm going to need new reading glasses! ;)

Thank you!

Leslie
Eilsel

Postby Diane58 » 21 Jun 2009, 16:57

Leslie
I can't believe I came across you. My mothers grandfather is Serafino Celestino and grandmother Rachel. My mother is Rachel named after her grandmother. Like your grandmother my mother told me they came through Castle Gardens . My grandmothers name is Cecilia she was born here but the names you list on the blog are her siblings (little different spelling) she married Michael Longo and lived in Brooklyn all their lives

would like to write more but i have to go out will check later!!!!

Diane
Diane58

Postby Eilsel » 21 Jun 2009, 21:35

Wow! Your mom is my dad's and my Aunt Carol's cousin! :)

Please go see the tree under Alario/Strange that I have on Ancestry.com and let me know if you have anything you want added! Aren't the internet and sites like this great?!

My dad has an album of pictures that I will scan soon and add to the page as well.

Leslie
Eilsel

Postby Diane58 » 21 Jun 2009, 22:23

Your right I spoke with your Aunt Carol today, your Dad and Carol are my mothers first cousins, I have met Carol kids not sure if I ever met you???maybe at a funeral?I understand we are around the same age. The internet makes thing real interesting. I will sign on to the site you said and see whats up. We have kept the womans names in the family ..my mother is Rachel, its my middle name and my daughters middle name is Cecilia after my grandmother. I remember your grandmother and grandfather fondly , they were a genuine couple and were extremely nice. Its funny what you can remember.

Diane
Diane58

Postby RichCelestino » 18 Feb 2010, 05:57

I hope i didnt get into this post too late... but hello fellow Celestino's. My dads father is Ottilio (not Attilio) who is the son of Serafino and Rachel. He left us when i was 15 but my grandmother is still alive. i recently started a family tree, its been a blast. Otto left Brooklyn in 1942 i believe after my dad was born. All of us have been here in California since. Lets chat sometime... :)
RichCelestino

Postby Eilsel » 18 Feb 2010, 18:08

Hello Rich! It's never too late! :wink:

It's very exciting to see your post. Since beginning my family tree, I have heard from Barbara (Latizia is her maternal great-grandmother); Mark (by marriage to Marcy's wife, Ruth); Virginia (Mamie was her grandmother); and Diane, who has posted here (Cecelia was her grandmother).

I am related by my grandmother, Inez Viola Cecelia Celestino. :)

I think I saw your profile on Ancestry.com? If so, we can collaborate there on info and such. My profile name is Eilsel13.

So glad you found my post here! Let me know if I can help you with any info!

Leslie
Eilsel

Postby RichCelestino » 20 Feb 2010, 15:31

I think any help we can give each other is a very good thing. I do have the family tree going, and comparing our info will help us make sure we keep it right. Its good to find some family again, at times it can feel like one is disconnected knowing there are others out there and not knowing where or who...

I have seen the new things added yesterday to my grandfather, thank you. i am still having trouble with his wife, i have hit a total dead end. She is still alive but cant help much. that is a long story tho..

I do have a facebook, my name is an easy search :)
RichCelestino

Postby PeterTimber » 21 Feb 2010, 00:04

If you go to www.footnote.com you will find a free trial or even a cursory name check that shows Giuseppe Alario petition #5895147 obtaining citizenship in Bklyn NY in 1944. Ifthis is your Joseph Alario then it might be worthwhile to research further at that site. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby Eilsel » 21 Feb 2010, 15:29

Thank you Peter!

I have an Ancestry.com US membership, so I do have that in Giuseppe's profile. In fact, since joining I've discovered a ton since my first post here. :)

Still haven't found definite immigration info for Angiolo Serafino Vittorio Celestino & his wife, Rachela Barbeti Palma Cribari. They immigrated to the US after their daughter, Latizia Maria Aqualina Celestino, was born in Italy. According to the censuses, it was around 1888, so I'm now looking at microfiche at the LDS family center to see if I can find something. I've tried a lot of name variations, but nothing definite yet!

Thanks for the help!

Leslie
Eilsel

Postby PeterTimber » 21 Feb 2010, 17:08

Try www.worldvitalrecords.com. It is a paying website but the free name checks give lots of good information free. leave out the middle names. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Next

19 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship