Triple citizenship?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Triple citizenship?

Postby jwazevedo » 17 Mar 2009, 16:58

Hi,

I'm trying to find out whether the swearing of allegiance to a country other than one's birth affects the recognition of Italian citizenship.

Here are the two scenarios:

1) A US citizen who otherwise qualifies to recognize his Italian citizenship moves to Canada and applies for citizenship in that country. Can he still then apply for the Italian citizenship recognition?

2) Same scenario but the guy first goes through the Italian citizenship process and gets recognized. What happens if he then applies for Canadian citizenship? Does he lose the Italian citizenship?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Best,
Jerry

mler
Master
Master

Re: Triple citizenship?

Postby mler » 17 Mar 2009, 17:10

If the naturalization took place before 1992, the opportunity to obtain Italian citizenship jure sanguinis is lost.

From your question, however, I get the sense that you are describing scenarios that occur now (or at least after 1992). In either scenario Italian citizenship is not affected.

jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Triple citizenship?

Postby jwazevedo » 17 Mar 2009, 23:35

Thanks a bunch! I am breathing a sigh of relief. For my own education, would you mind pointing me to some sort of law that explains the ins and outs of this? I find it fascinating.

Best,
Jerry

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”