Forgot to include a self addressed envelope

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Forgot to include a self addressed envelope

Postby legnoduro » 21 Mar 2009, 02:40

Ciao a tutti,
I mailed a letter to my grandmother's comune today and forgot to include the self addressed envelope. Should I follow up with a letter and apology and include an envelope referencing the letter I sent? Would this create bigger probems? I forgot to mention that the follow up letter is also requesting my grandmother's birth certificate.

Thanks,
Joseph
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Forgot to include a self addressed envelope

Postby elba » 21 Mar 2009, 08:57

No - there is no point in sending an envelope as you don't know what size they will need for whatever document(s) you have requested. As long as you've included your address' thats fine.... don't worry!

A good idea though is, in future, if you ask for certificates etc. to send some stamps. This helps the comune budget. I offer a non profit service to get Italian stamps for people and have often found that this helps (NB if any one is interested, send me a PM). If the comune cannot find what you want they invariably send you the stamps back.

As discussed on many occasions before I would advise against sending money of any kind unless they quote you a price for specific documents that entail a long search!
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby legnoduro » 21 Mar 2009, 15:25

Thank you elba. Your answer is reassuring. The only time I did not receive a response from a comune was when I sent a request without a return envelope
to Fagnano Castello so I was concerned about this request. I think that the request to Calabria somehow got lost. It has never been aknowledged as being received by the comune.

Joseph
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby idmaclean » 22 Mar 2009, 04:28

I have had success sending 10 euro in the mail.

One time i did not hear back from the comune, I had fed exed them my request with a self addressed fed ex letter.

I waited 3 months and then sent them 20 euro for two documents. no less than 2 weeks later did i receive the requested documents and my money back actually. I sent them a thank you post card ...

additionally I requested my grandfathers bc from his comune and they did not however return the euros i sent them. This was purely for geneological purposes and not tied to my jus sanguinis app.

I recently sent letters requesting my GGFs bc from three churches in his comune. He was born before 1871 when civil records started being kept in his comune, province of Verona. I enclosed money in all of them.

fingers crossed
idmaclean
Rookie
Rookie

Postby liltally » 08 May 2009, 14:34

I've sent several letters to the comune San Biagio Platani with a self addressed envelope each time they send me my info its in one of there own envelopes they never use it. So last time I sent for info to Cantania I just sent $10 american money and stamps (coupons) they sent the stamps back....
Ciao Grazie
Jeanette
liltally
Rookie
Rookie

Postby cissybo » 16 May 2013, 08:00

I requested a document from Fagnano Castello. I did not include a self-addressed envelope or postage stamps. I did enclose $25 US. It has been about 15 months and I have received absolutely nothing from them. I would not advise sending cash.
cissybo

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship