Petition to record a birth

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Petition to record a birth

Postby jwazevedo » 21 Mar 2009, 02:03

I'm preparing to ask for recognition of Italian citizenship based on the grandfather-mother-me line. I've not been able to find a record of my grandmother's (Italian ancestor's wife) birth, though she was born in the US. I have her marriage certificate and death certificate but not the birth record. The county clerk tells me that if I need a birth record, I can petition the court to create a record. So, two questions:

* Has anyone in this situation found that a record outside the pertinent line can be waived?

* Has anyone gone through the court process, with a story to tell?

Thanks!

Best,
Jerry

mler
Master
Master

Re: Petition to record a birth

Postby mler » 21 Mar 2009, 13:29

It's likely you won't need it. Many consulates do not require documents from the non-Italian line, and even those that do will probably not make an issue over a missing birth certificate. I think you'll be ok with what you have. Where are you applying?

jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jwazevedo » 22 Mar 2009, 05:57

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm applying in Vancouver. And I have to tell you, their instructions are quite unlike any that I've seen elsewhere. No mention of apostilles or translations. I plan to get the documents together for the direct Italian line and then take them in and see how it flies. If they want more, I'll get more. In the meantime, I'm doing the footwork on the accessory documents, just so I know where I stand when I go in there.

Best,
Jerry

criscal

Postby criscal » 23 Mar 2009, 17:06

Jerry,

I have an almost identical situation: US born great-grandmother marries italian, but no record of her 1906 birth. I brought this into the consulate in Chicago and they accepted it as long as she was not on the 'italian side'.

I have an additional problem though, that my grandmother (their child and in my line) also is missing a birth record. I have to file a delayed birth cert for her, I mean she has to file it. I asked the state of Pennsylvania and they will not let me file a delayed birth cert for my ggm, despite the same state recognizing her marriage and death.

idmaclean
Rookie
Rookie

Postby idmaclean » 23 Mar 2009, 17:17

i am doing something similiar in NJ

i am getting a court order to have a birth record made for my italian grandmother.

jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jwazevedo » 23 Mar 2009, 17:53

Well, we're all in the same boat, sort of. I'm going to try to make it through without the birth record, since it's on the non-Italian side (at least, I don't depend on her "Italian-ness". I'm several months away from my submission to the consulate (waiting for naturalization records), but when I do, I'll post a message if there are any problems.

BTW, my mother's birth record says her name was "Luzio" but every other document of hers says "Lucy". I asked the consulate, and they said to swear out an affidavit of one-and-the-same-person. They made it sound as if they didn't make the final decision, that it went to the Comune for consideration. If that's rejected, I'll need to do the birth record correction thing, so maybe I'll not be able to escape the court system.

Best,
Jerry

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”