Interesting Question regarding Naturalization and Census

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
fiy123

Interesting Question regarding Naturalization and Census

Postby fiy123 » 22 Mar 2009, 17:44

My great grand (Giuseppe Iacullo) father came to the U.S. with his family when he was 11 in 1901 . I inquired to find his date of naturalization and received a official letter of no record found the national archives.

I found the 1920 census for my great grandfathers family (father was Gaetano Iacullo, listed under yagula) but for some reason he is not listed on this census although his father, mother, and brother are. they are all listed as aliens, this was difficult to find due to the fact the last name is spelt wrong.

In 1930 my great grandfather appears again independently and is listed as naturalized. My grandfather is already born and listed on the sheet. where it says age at last birthday it says "8/2"(whatever the hell this means, I this its 8 1/2 months).

This would bring us back to find the exact date he was naturalized to make sure my grandfather was born before this day, and this is what cannot be found in the archives ect.... which is why i requested the official no record found letter.

What I do have is the original petition for naturalization my great great grandfather filled out and on this my great grandfather is listed as a household dependent but at the time he is 18 so he would have had to file his own petition. it is concievable that he thought since he lived in house he would recieve NA from this application but infact he did not.

Im not sure where to go from here, is the official letter from the NARA and the census from 1930 enough?

im pretty lost here, any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

Joe

mler
Master
Master

Re: Interesting Question regarding Naturalization and Census

Postby mler » 22 Mar 2009, 20:07

During that time, the age of majority was 21, so your greatgrandfather would have been included if your greatgreatgrandfather naturalized. The Petition for Naturalization does not necessarily mean that naturalization took place, although usually it did. You may not be finding information for your greatgrandfather because he was included under his father's.

Check the date of your greatgreatgrandfather's naturalization. It may provide your answer.

fiy123

Postby fiy123 » 22 Mar 2009, 20:28

The people at the national archives said the age was 18, so that Is what I have been going by but I will look into that again

Would the 1920 census and the NARA be enough to submit to the NYC consulate with the other documents?

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 22 Mar 2009, 21:57

The NARA people are incorrect. Although today the age of majority is 18, that was not the case in the early part of the twentieth century.

The NARA statement and the 1920 census will most definitely NOT be enough for the NY Consulate. They will insist on a statement of "no record" at the federal level. Since your greatgrandfather came to this country as a minor, they will also want proof that he never naturalized as a minor, so it's important that you obtain records for your greatgreatgrandfather as well.

fiy123

Postby fiy123 » 22 Mar 2009, 21:59

so then I should submit my request to the USCIS as my next step?

Thanks for the help

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 22 Mar 2009, 22:13

That seems like a good plan. Do one for both your greatgrandfather and your greatgreatgrandfather. Good luck.

BTW, I checked the dates; the age of majority in most states (NY among them) was lowered from 21 to 18 in 1970.

fiy123

Postby fiy123 » 22 Mar 2009, 22:15

awesome I will do that, thanks for the help!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”