Document help

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Document help

Postby mmonico » 31 Mar 2009, 04:08

Hello all,

I finally received Naturalization papers from the USCIS but the dates of birth and is not listed on the document What is this going to do to me when I go to the consulate to apply for my dual citizenship????
Also His name was changed when he got to America from Carmine Peitromonaco to Herman Monico, I have proof of this on his DOI, but his original name is speleed wrong on the DOI and his birhtdate is wrong. I have my ggr birth certificate from Italy with the correct spellling and date of birth. How do I go about getting it changed on the documents I have from the US gov.????? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I need to apply to the Detroit consulate asap.

thanks to all

mler
Master
Master

Re: Document help

Postby mler » 31 Mar 2009, 13:02

Unfortunately, it is not possible to amend naturalization documents. Do you have any other proof of the name change other than the Declaration of Intent? The Petition or Oath perhaps?

mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mmonico » 02 Apr 2009, 20:26

The only other doc i have with his name on it is the DOI, but its spelled wrong on there also. Am I doomed?

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 02 Apr 2009, 23:51

I sure hope not, but this certainly makes things much more difficult. The Detroit consulate is one of the better ones to work with. If I were you, I would ask them. They may tell you that all you need is an affidavit, especially if your other documents show some consistency of names.

Is your grandfather still living?

mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mmonico » 07 Apr 2009, 07:18

unfortunately my grandfather died 20 years ago. But most of the documents I have are consistent with the spelling of his name even though its incorrect. Also his birth date is incorrect of by like a year.
Im new to this, can you explain the affidavit more????
Thank you for your help.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 07 Apr 2009, 11:10

An affidavit is simply a notarized statement. Yours would be one by someone in a position to know (a sister, a cousin, perhaps a child) stating thet the two names refer to the same person. You should, though, check with Detroit. They may be ok with this, but they may also suggest something else. From what I've read, Detroit is pretty helpful.

mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mmonico » 08 Apr 2009, 05:54

thank you very much for your help, I will keep ya posted on what I find out.

mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mmonico » 09 Apr 2009, 05:24

Ok so after looking at my GGF naturalization papers, it does not have his birthdate listed on it anywhere nor does it have his original name from Italy only his Americanized name. But I do have his DOI and Petition for Naturalization which shows his italian name and his American name but they both have his date of birth on it which has the year and day of his bith incorrect but does have the correct month. So i guess my question is what do I do? Try to get the DOI and Petition corrected ( if possible?) or get an affidavide from my Grandmother stating that the two are the same person and present that with the Naturalization paper? Thanks for any help.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 09 Apr 2009, 11:31

I just check my husband's and my grandmother's Certificates of Naturalization. Neither had a birth date. They did, however, have his age, which your GGF's should have as well.

Since naturalization documents cannot be amended, I'd suggest going with the Certificate. If it is simply an Americanized name (Giovanni/John, Giuseppe/Joseph, Pietro/Peter), you shouldn't have a problem.

mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mmonico » 10 Apr 2009, 04:14

well His name was changed from Carmie Peitromonaco to Herman Monico. I dont know how they arrived at that name, lol.
Yes my GGF age is on the naturalization document, it just doesnt have both names. So how do I link the two names together without using the DOI or Petition?? Ahggg Im so close! Thank you for your help, Im very greatful.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 10 Apr 2009, 15:49

This is a difficult one. If I understand correctly, the Certificate of Naturalization has the American name. The preliminary papers show both names, but the Italian name is incorrectly spelled and the birthdate is more than a year off.

You may get by with an affidavit, but be prepared with the preliminary documents just in case. Look at the Petition again, and check his signature. That would be better evidence of his name than the typed part. Also, check the Oath. What does that one indicate?

mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mmonico » 15 Apr 2009, 06:01

Yes the Certificate of Naturalization has only his American name. The preliminary papers have both but spelled incorrect, its spelled Carmina Petmonico and the correct spelling is Carmine Peitromonaco, but he signed it Carmina Petmonico on the Petition for Nat.
Also the date of birth is only off by 3 months and the date is wrong, but has the year correct.
And the spelling of the town he comes from is wrong, on the doc its spelled Vinnituro and he comes from Vinchiaturo.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”