Up hill battle

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Up hill battle

Postby legnoduro » 01 Apr 2009, 02:45

Ciao a tutti,
I just received my father's birth certificate. His last name is horribly mispelled! It barely resembles our last name and I wonder if anyone has any experience in getting this type of mistake corrected. This happens to be the son who is named Joseph but is named Josephine on my grandfather's petition for naturalization. My father is deceased so he cannot make the correction.

Thank you,
Joseph

jschotz
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Up hill battle

Postby jschotz » 01 Apr 2009, 13:58

So if I understand, your GGF was born in Italy, and you have his Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate and Death Certificate? And now your father (who was born where in the USA?) has an error on his BC?

Do you have a copy of his MC and DC as well? This will help complete the picture you will need to amend vital records (by affidavit or worst case - court order) if it is necessary. Also, is this in the Italian line or not?

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 01 Apr 2009, 20:08

Is your dad still living?

legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby legnoduro » 01 Apr 2009, 22:40

He died in 1995.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 01 Apr 2009, 22:51

I'm sorry, Joseph; you did state that in your first post. This makes things considerably more difficult since I don't think it's possible to change the birth certificate of someone no longer living w/o a court order. Unfortunately, this is a situation in which a correct petition would have been helpful.

If any of your aunts or uncles are still living, you may be able to obtain affadavits from them attesting to the fact that this is indeed your father and that the name on the certificate is incorrect. Was his father's name written correctly?

You might also try to obtain baptismal records for him. This would provide further proof to present to the consulate.

If neither of these approaches is acceptable to the Philadelphia consulate, it is likely that only a court order will enable you to make the correction.

legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby legnoduro » 01 Apr 2009, 23:05

Thanks mler, should I contact the consulate first to see what type if any corroboration they would accept?

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 02 Apr 2009, 02:16

That seems like a good idea. Several years ago, when we lived in the jurisdiction of Philly, they were open for questions such as yours. I don't know if that's still the case.

But jschotz is right. Try to put together as much documentation as you can to make the connection from the names on the birth certificate sequence (gf, f, you). I've heard that Philly is pretty reasonable, and they may well be willing to accept less than an amendment if you have enough evidence to make the connection.

Hope things go well. Let us know.

legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby legnoduro » 02 Apr 2009, 03:13

Thank you, I will.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”