Suggestions for applying thru marriage

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

Suggestions for applying thru marriage

Postby JMFL » 04 Apr 2009, 17:52

Good afternoon,

I received my Italian Citizenship recognition last year and I just got word from the comune that they have registered my American documents in the town. They will be sending me my birth and marriage documents from the comune, now that they have been recorded in their registry.

Once I have the marriage document I will start the Citizenship thru marriage process for my husband. I am concerned about the order to proceed and the timing since I understand that the criminal records documents should be less than 6 months old. Here is my situation:

Husband has lived in Wisconsin, Nevada, Louisianna, Florida and Australia. We currently live in Florida. It won't take much time for me to get the police records from Tallahassee, FL and have them apostilled and translated. But for the other states, the FBI check and Australia, I will have to request the documents, then have them sent to me so that I can mail them in for Apostilles, and hopefully be able to translate them at the same time, although some of the consulates may request that I use only their translators, I know Miami doesn't require this but I think I will have to abide by the rules of each consulate.

For my husband to get police records in Australia, I'm not even sure which agency to contact. I emailed the Italian Consulate in Sydney and hope to hear back from them about this.

It looks like once I get the correct agency in Australia to issue the request, (he lived there in the 1970's so I hope they keep good archive records), that agency will then have to mail the police records back to me in the US. Then I will have to turn around and mail it to Australia for an apostille and then have them mail it back to me so I can mail it back for an official translating with one of their reccommened translators, then have it sent back to me so that I can then send it on to the consulate in Australia, where they will notarize / authenicate it.

I don't see how this will all be accomplished in a 6 month time frame.
Should I get the Australian document completed and then call Miami for an appointment?
Should I contact Miami for an appointment and then hope to have it all done with the Australian documents by my appointment?
I will have to work thru the mail with police records for:
Wisconsin and get that notarized at the Chicago consulate,
Louisianna and get that notarized at the Houston consulate,
Nevada and get that notarized at the Los Angeles consulate,
Floirida and I will bring that with us on our appointment.

I am asking if anyone has ideas on how to proceed since I will be doing so much through the mail and with Australia. Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”