Help with ship manifest

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mcamny

Help with ship manifest

Postby mcamny » 08 Apr 2009, 05:36

My great-grandfather, Pasquale Capone, left Naples on the SS Re D'Italia on March 24, 1909, arriving in NY on April 9, 1909. (page 87/88, line 5). I just noticed that the manifest lists his parents names, which is new info for me. Even when I magnify the manifest online, I can't figure out what it says. It looks like "Mother: Carmina" and next to "Father" it looks like there is an abbreviation "Plc" or something similar preceding the name, which unfortunately is partially written over. The same abbreviation appears on page 88 next to the info for relatives in the states, where it lists his cousin (Pastorino, I think). I'm trying to find out what "Plc" means (or determine what the abbreviation actually is and what it means), and also if there is any way to find out exactly what the names are. I've zoomed in on Ancestry.com but can't decipher them.

Thanks very much,
Michele

pink67
Master
Master

Re: Help with ship manifest

Postby pink67 » 08 Apr 2009, 06:24

Hi Michele,

my best guess is:

mother Carmina
father P.le (Pasquale)

Laura

p.s. place of birth and last residence : Olevano sul Tusciano (Salerno Province - Campania region)

mcamny

Postby mcamny » 09 Apr 2009, 04:11

Hi Laura,
That would make sense. And thanks for the birth place info. I found something similar to that on a manifest for my great-grandmother who traveled a bit later to the US with my grandmother, but couldn't read all of the letters on that one either.

Thanks so much for your help!

Michele

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 09 Apr 2009, 12:47

You're welcome, Michele! :D

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”