were travel visas needed in 1912?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
senior
Rookie
Rookie

were travel visas needed in 1912?

Postby senior » 16 Apr 2009, 22:15

In 1912 my grandfather left New York to go back to Abruzzo to obtain "paperwork" so he could marry my grandmother in New York. Apparently he had to produce a visa at the town registrar, or city hall? Would he have needed a visa, and if so can I obtain a copy? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
senior
Looking for names; Cerimeli, Napoleone, DiPasquale,DiGiovanni, Della Morte, Di Marco, Mazzarella.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: were travel visas needed in 1912?

Postby PeterTimber » 17 Apr 2009, 03:48

your use of the term "visa" is elusive since being an Italian citizen he would not have needed a "visa" re-enter Italy and certainly he would have had an unofficial Italian passport because in 1869 The Italian government began requiring people to obtain passports to move within Italy/ The USA and many other countries did not require passports, so many Italians left Italy without an official passport.

The Italian government used passports to make sure young Italian men did not emigrate to avoid the military draft. Police were responsible for passports and are still issued by the "Questura" (head of Internal Police in each province) and the records are not open to the public.

But you might want to check with the Ufficio Anagrafe in his town of origin and ask them for any record iof residency changes and emigration along with the dates and destinations that may provide a clue as to his "visa" origin.

You can amend a form letter in Italian to the Uffico Anagrafe (census office) in his town of origin by going to the following website.

www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html

=Peter=
~Peter~

senior
Rookie
Rookie

Postby senior » 17 Apr 2009, 12:58

Thanks for your reply,Peter. What I failed to include was his date of birth; 1889. He left his comune when he was 16, and left from the port of Havre, France, arriving in the U.S. on his 17th birthday. He returned in 1912 when he was 23. Does this new info change anything, and can I ask for your opinion about a young man traveling at that age? He was illegitimate and adopted by a family who was wealthy and is easily traced to the 1447 surnames in that comune. I have recently requested a stato civile, should I wait for the response before requesting the ufficio anagrafe. He was born in San Valentino, but was raised in Abbateggio. Would the ufficio anagrafe go to Abbategio?
Thanks again,
senior

Looking for names; Cerimeli, Napoleone, DiPasquale,DiGiovanni, Della Morte, Di Marco, Mazzarella.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 17 Apr 2009, 15:32

16 year old males travelling to immigrate was common from my past reseach experience and Abbateggio (www.nonsolocap.it) being a comune would have its own Anagrafe office BUT I would double check with San Valentino Anagrafe for any connecting record with Stato Civile and his orphanage status. I suspect the responses you receive from these offices may answer the question as to his passport issuance by the local Questura in Abbateggio.=Peter=
~Peter~

senior
Rookie
Rookie

Postby senior » 17 Apr 2009, 15:39

thanks,Peter; but I'm a bit confused. Do I wait for the response from San Valentino (stato civile) or send an anagrafe to San Valentino before I get a response? Or do I send an anagrafe to Abbateggio?
Thanks again,
senior

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”