Italian citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Italian citizenship

Postby ChrisMosca » 19 Apr 2009, 17:35

is it true that before I can become dual citizen through my grandfather, my father has to do it first? my grandfather was born in 1911 and moved to argentina in 1929 never lost his italian citizenship had my father in 1944, i was born in the U.S and my father did become a U.S citizen in about 1998, did that mean that he lost his italian citizenship or could he still do it, and then I can do it also?
thanks!!!!
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).

teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Italian citizenship

Postby teddi » 19 Apr 2009, 18:42

Your father does not need to apply for citizenship first.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 20 Apr 2009, 02:45

At one time, naturalization in any country was considered renunuciation of Italian citizenship. Your father, however, naturalized after 1992, when Italy began to permit dual citizenship. Your father obtained Italian citizenship from his father, and since he never renounced, you obtained citizenship from him.

You can apply alone or with your father if you both reside in the same consular jurisdiction. The documents you will need depend very much on the consulate at which you will be applying. Based on the information you provide, however, you are eligible for recognition of citizenship jure sanguinis. Congratulations!

ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Postby ChrisMosca » 20 Apr 2009, 04:18

the only other thing that might give me a problem is that I found out that my grandfather was born with the name Valter Mosca but when he moved to argentina he used Walter instead so his marriage certificate and my dad's birth certificate shows as his name as walter and also his death certificate but he was born with the name of Valter will that give me any trouble? and then what will I have to do?
Thanks again for the responces!!!!!
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).

Romano1970
Master
Master

Postby Romano1970 » 14 May 2009, 21:25

I am working on this as well. When I asked the Italian embassy in NY they advised me of the following.

If my father was an american citizen (which he was) then the next step is to my grandfather. They advised he would have had to NOT renounce his Italian citizen ship ( Which he did not, he was a registered alien).

The documents I would need are the following.

My Fathers Birth certificate and Death certificate
My grandfathers Birth and death certificate

Once I have all of these then I can take them to the Italian Embassy and file.

Here is a link.

www.justlanded.com/eng...itizenship
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.

Romano1970
Master
Master

Postby Romano1970 » 14 May 2009, 21:41

That link was not he right one.

Here is the right one.

http://www.italiandualcitizenship.com/
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”