Naples to New York -- How long did it take by ship?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
kyproud

Naples to New York -- How long did it take by ship?

Postby kyproud » 27 Apr 2009, 06:14

On 19 Feb 1913 my Cafaro family returned back to the U.S. after visiting their motherland, Italy. They arrived on the ship Hamburg. Did it take months or just weeks?

Thanks!

Tim
kyproud@comcast.net

pink67
Master
Master

Re: Naples to New York -- How long did it take by ship?

Postby pink67 » 27 Apr 2009, 07:50

Hi Tim,
if the family was Nicola, Fiorentina and their child,
on the arrival manifest you can see that the ship (Hamburg) sailed from the port of Napoli on February 5, 1913 and arrived at the port of New York on February 19, 1913. so 14 days...
Laura :)

kyproud

Re: Naples to New York -- How long did it take by ship?

Postby kyproud » 28 Apr 2009, 02:18

Hi Laura,
Thank you for the quick response! Where did you see the Feb 5 date? I did not see it, but then I did not look at the beginning of the maifest. It was late last night when I stumbled upon this record and I just didn't do my due diligence.

This is the family I'm looking at. Maybe you can help with another question. There are 3 children in the family. Erminio 4; Corriedini 3; and Isabella 9 months. All were born in New York. Their passenger info asks if U.S. Citizen and the answer for all 3 is NO; but Nationality for all 3 is listed as U.S. Born. Why are they not U.S. Citizens if they are born in the U.S.?

Thanks for your help!
Tim

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”