Trying to see if I can qualify for dual citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Trying to see if I can qualify for dual citizenship

Postby aliza24 » 22 May 2009, 04:46

Unfortunately, I know I don't qualify on my dad's side because his people got naturalized before my dad's dad was born.

BUT...I'm hoping there is a way I can go through my mom's side. I need help making sense of this stuff though.

Is there a limit on the generations when going through the maternal line?

My G-Grandmother was born in NY (in 1899) BUT from what I can tell her dad was NOT naturalized at the time of her birth.

If this is true, doesn't that mean that she would then still be Italian?
Then her son, my grandfather- then my mom should also be Italian too?

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Re: Trying to see if I can qualify for dual citizenship

Postby JamesBianco » 22 May 2009, 12:15

If her father was not a U.S citizen at the time of her birth, and she was born in the United States, then yes, she would have had dual Italian-American citizenship.

However, unless she had a child after January 1st, 1948 she would not have been able to pass that (Italian) citizenship on to her child.

Perhaps you could provide more details? When was the child you descend from born?

aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Postby aliza24 » 23 May 2009, 18:23

That's what I kinda thought, but I guess I was hoping I was reading it wrong and there was still hope.

I'm talking about my GREAT grandmother's birth here b. 1899- so she did not have a child born after 1948. Her child (my grandfather) was born around 1919, then my mom was b. 1952.

What is with this whole 1948 thing? They don't have that on the paternal side right? That really stinks. I was hoping I'd qualify through someone.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 23 May 2009, 19:09

Before the law changed things in 1948, women were really second-class citizens as far as citizenship was concerned (and probably in other things too). Unfortunately, the law was not retroactive.

There may be another problem as well. It seems that just last week, the NY consulate rejected someone whose ancestor was born in the U.S. before 1912. There has been much forum discussion about this, and it may be a one-time deal; but since other consulates have also focused on 1912 (although not exactly in this manner), it may signal a change in the way the consulates determine eligibility.

I'm sorry things did not work out for you.

aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Postby aliza24 » 23 May 2009, 22:23

Thanks anyway for the clarification.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”