Meeting at the Chicago Consulate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Benito512

Meeting at the Chicago Consulate

Postby Benito512 » 11 Jun 2009, 15:23

On Tuesday, I had my appoiontment with the Chicago Consulate, and everything went smoothly. The consulate officer looked through my records and commented that my documents were in order and complete. She then asked me to complete an AIRE form so that she could register me in the database.

From this point, I was told, that my documents would be stamped by the Consular General and sent to Roma and then to Borgetto PA, the town in which my bisnonni were born. I was advised to wait three to six months before requesting my birth certificate. When I do receive the new certificate from Borgetto, I can then apply for my Italian passport.

I must add that the consulate officer was extremely pleasant and kind during the entire process; I am excited about almost completing this important journey.

Buona fortuna a tutti!

Benito :D

CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Meeting at the Chicago Consulate

Postby CowryShells » 08 Jul 2009, 21:06

Congratulations! That in itself was a milestone. Hope your papers come through soon. Thanks for letting us know!

jpatsy

Postby jpatsy » 09 Jul 2009, 01:24

I'm so glad to hear of someone having a good experience. I'll eventually be going through Chicago, so that is very encouraging. Question: were there any spelling discrepancies in your documents? Or did your ancestors names stay the same throughout?

Benito512

Postby Benito512 » 09 Jul 2009, 05:14

I did have discrepancies, and I had them amended before my visit to the consulate.

I wish you good luck with your visit.

Benito

tjm618

Postby tjm618 » 16 Jul 2009, 00:57

I am new to this process and have a question. When you assembled your documents and went to the consulate, did you have one original and then made two copies or all originals? I had to make an appt with them to ask this question and my appt date is Feb 11, 2010!!!! I just want to make sure that I am getting exactly what they want. I am just confused because on one page of their form it states "ALL THE DOCUMENTS IN ORIGINAL, WITH APOSTILLE, TRANSLATED INTO ITALIAN AND ONE COPY" while on another is states "ALL IN ORIGINAL AND TWO COPIES". I just can't believe I need to make an appt. to ask a question.

Thanks! :?

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 16 Jul 2009, 01:35

NY took the original and one copy of everything except the Italian birth certificate. They returned the original of this document to me and kept two copies.

If I were going in today, I would have the originals and two copies ready and give them what they ask for.

Think of it this way--on February 11 you can simply apply.

tjm618

Postby tjm618 » 16 Jul 2009, 03:34

I have replied to the Chicago consulate asking if this appointment can be changed so that it is for my application versus just asking questions. Now I will wait and see if they will make me fill out another appointment document just to ask that question.

The reason for my concern of all of this is that I have received some of my documentation from Italy and the US and didn't know if I would have to get additional certified copies. If that was the case, it would have been cheaper in the beginning. Sounds like just one certified and then two copies. Is this correct?

I also am surprised that my appt is 7 mos. away. They must be really be busy in Chicago. Luckily I am not in any hurry.

Thanks.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 16 Jul 2009, 12:46

That's right. Only one original is needed unless you want to order extras for your own file. Seven months is not really that long a wait. It's typical for most consulates.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”