Searching the commune archives myself? (MURO LUCANO)

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
arist
Rookie
Rookie

Searching the commune archives myself? (MURO LUCANO)

Post by arist »

Hi there.. (sorry for posting in 2 places, not sure where this will be seen best)

I've been reading a few posts regarding record searching in Muro Lucano...

I'm in the process of collecting all documents (birth, death, marriage certificates) to apply for dual-citizenship.

I'll be going through my father, grandmother, g grandfather, gg grandfather.

Will cut to my question..

Is it possible for me to go to the commune in Muro Lucano and search through the archives myself? The problem is I don't have dates for any of my ancestors. Only approximate years. I feel if I find one record, it will make it easier to find the rest. I also don't speak italian. Though I was thinking of bringing a letter along with me (in italian) explaining my situation.

Do I need written permission to do this? Or can I just show up and search for a few days without notice?

anyone have experience in doing this?
bonval
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Searching the commune archives myself? (MURO LUCANO)

Post by bonval »

In most instances you will NOT be allowed to search vital records - the laws in Italy regarding privacy issues are strict -- and getting more so all the time - rather expect to present yourself and make an appointment to have the person do some research for you -- and do not expect it to be done within a week or less. You may hit a responsive note with someone who has some time and is willing to surprise you sooner but they are usually overworked and understaffed. If you have names and at least approximate dates it will help - and usually they print out an atta or an extraction of the family - they will usually not photocopy the acutal records due to the privacy laws and the fragility of many of the old records.