Missing Ellis Island Manifests on stevemorse.org

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

Missing Ellis Island Manifests on stevemorse.org

Postby carmine1917 » 20 Jun 2009, 01:40

I knew that not all manifest were on ellis or ancestry, had no idea or no need to look for the missing manifest until recently.

At the family history center I go to a lady is looking for her grandfather's manifest. She has everything else, naturalization, he was NYPD, etc. just can't find the manifest. If I could figure out how to search the missing manifest, I maybe able to help her. Although they are Irish, I know that my friends on this site will be able to steer me in the right direction.

She sent me this today:
Thanks for your email. I just went to the Castle Gardens web-site, but I was unable to find any info on John Ayres. His DOB: 3/11/1880 and he came from County Carlow, Ireland on April 10, 1897. I am stumped, if you can find him, could you please let me know.

Re: Missing Ellis Island Manifests on stevemorse.org

Postby VaDeb » 20 Jun 2009, 01:54

The missing manifest link by Steve Morse is a great tool, but it works for finding mislinked manifests. Sometimes, you will click on a name, but you are taken to a page for a completely different ship. The Morse missing manifest will enable you to get to the correct ship and search through the manifest for the missing passenger.

Unfortunately, some manifests have sections that are ripped off, smeared, and I would assume some pages were just lost. No way to find the names in these cases.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”