dual citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ana77

dual citizenship

Postby ana77 » 25 Jun 2009, 16:42

I have been reading a few blogs that basically are in search of the same thing as I am. However, I need an email address as to whom I need to contact. Ok, so I know my great-grandfather came from Palermo, Sicily and that with that I am at chances of requesting dual citizenship. I went to the comune di palermo website http://www.comune.palermo.it/ and from there I can't seem to find an email where I can as for my request :His birth certificate. I have his full name and date he was born but where do I request it from? What is the email?
I can's seem to make sense of the words. I tried to search (under the same website) for certificato di nascita and nothing came up. Does anyone know what else I can do?

mler
Master
Master

Re: dual citizenship

Postby mler » 26 Jun 2009, 12:56

You may want to check the forum at www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org Someone there may be able to answer your question. They also have a template of a letter you can send. You will likely have better results with a letter than with e-mail, which are often not answered.

In the meantime, keep in mind that having an Italian ancestor does not necessarily make you eligible for Italian citizenship. Two things are basic. First, your Italian ancestor must have been an Italian citizen (still unnaturalized) at the time of his child's birth. You should also note that women were not permited to pass on citizenship before 1948, so if you are using a line that includes women, keep that date in mind.

msecc
Rookie
Rookie

Postby msecc » 13 Jul 2009, 02:50

I just started with genealogy, and this is the first I've heard of dual citizenship. I was wondering if someone here would think I qualify with the following information:
GGF born 1886 in Monte Porzio Italy
Came to USA in 1904
Married GGM born 1890 in Ripe Italy
Came to USA in 1907
GGF and GGM married 1908 in Connecticut, USA
GF born 1910
GGF and GGM naturalized in 1931
F born in 1932
I was born in 1974 (male)

Any ideas? I could easily get the above birth, marriage, death, and naturalization records)

Thanks for any help and explanations...

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 13 Jul 2009, 03:51

Dear Msecc go to www.italiandualcitizenship.com using the same website address only add../id50.htm for questions most people ask. =Peter=
~Peter~

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 13 Jul 2009, 12:58

I use this email address when requesting documents from the Archives in Palermo.

responsabileufficioricerche@archiviopa.it (leave out the spaces)

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

msecc
Rookie
Rookie

Postby msecc » 13 Jul 2009, 13:23

Thanks for the link Peter... Seems too simple. It looks like I would qualify unless I'm reading things wrong... It's a direct paternal line to my GGF, and it looks like my GGF was naturalized after my GF was born...

I have the following naturalization documents from my GGF (any missing):
Declaration of Intention 1928
Certificate of Arrival 1931
Oath of Allegiance 1931
Petition for Citizenship 1931

Regards, Mike

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 13 Jul 2009, 14:29

It looks like you're good to go. Get your GGF's birth certificate from Italy and all the necessary U.S. documents (in long form/translated and with apostilles). Depending on where you will be applying, you may want to make an appointment at the consulate now since, in many places, the wait is a year or longer.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 13 Jul 2009, 15:07

msecc lots of luck. Not knowing where you are located mutes any further suggestions since you may not want to do this on your own and have some firm take care of it for you. =Peter=
~Peter~

msecc
Rookie
Rookie

Postby msecc » 13 Jul 2009, 15:13

Thanks Peter... The idea was just seeded... I'm located in New Haven, CT. I have to speak with my siblings to see if any of them are interested. Not sure how much it would cost with some help...

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 13 Jul 2009, 15:22

I inquired once and similar to you I had no problems with a direct tie in to Italian citizenship and contacted a chicago firm who indicated that with my obtaining easy to obtain documents in Italy and NY State it would run less than $500.00. But there is a website that may give you some perspective and the is www.Myitalianfamily.com They give you a free 1/2 hour consultation. =Peter=
~Peter~

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 14 Jul 2009, 12:52

I obtained all the documents (with the exception of my gf's Italian birth certificate) myself; and I probably could have obtained his on my own too.

Most everything can be done by mail--addresses and information are all available on line. Since most of my documents were from NYC not too far from my home, I walked through the notarization and apostille process for them. I also visited the NARA office on Varick Street and obtained all my grandfather's naturalization papers within an hour.

If you have the time to send out some letters, you can easily go it alone. You can always contact a service if you hit a dead end. But realistically, a service can't get anything that you can't get yourself.

The process can be costly. My documents and apostilles cost about $200, but I ordered double copies for a second application. It's likely, too, that you will encounter minor discrepancies that may need to be corrected, and this is where costs begin to accumulate, especially if those changes require a court order.

My suggestion would be to make a list of the documents you need, and then do a google search to determine how to obtain those documents, usually an easy process. Be sure to request that the documents be in "long-form suitable for an apostille--Italy." Most of the records cost under $10. Apostille costs for me ranged between $10 - $13.

johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Postby johnlabarbera » 15 Jul 2009, 18:20

mler wrote:I obtained all the documents (with the exception of my gf's Italian birth certificate) myself; and I probably could have obtained his on my own too.

Most everything can be done by mail--addresses and information are all available on line. Since most of my documents were from NYC not too far from my home, I walked through the notarization and apostille process for them. I also visited the NARA office on Varick Street and obtained all my grandfather's naturalization papers within an hour.

If you have the time to send out some letters, you can easily go it alone. You can always contact a service if you hit a dead end. But realistically, a service can't get anything that you can't get yourself.

The process can be costly. My documents and apostilles cost about $200, but I ordered double copies for a second application. It's likely, too, that you will encounter minor discrepancies that may need to be corrected, and this is where costs begin to accumulate, especially if those changes require a court order.

My suggestion would be to make a list of the documents you need, and then do a google search to determine how to obtain those documents, usually an easy process. Be sure to request that the documents be in "long-form suitable for an apostille--Italy." Most of the records cost under $10. Apostille costs for me ranged between $10 - $13.

I have successfully gone through the whole process the most costly item for me was the translation work which is typically not optional as to who you can use so the cost could be $40 per document. The only things you don't need to translate are the US Immigration Document of your ancestor's naturalization (or not) and your documents received from Italy. I found that by emailing the Italian Consulate in Houston I could get a lot of my questions answered even though they say you must make an appt etc etc.

The most frustrating part of the whole process is getting the document you need from US Immigration it takes a very long time...and they made mistakes that cost me months in the process...best to just file online and pay online with US Immigration....

John

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”