Help with naturalization record :)

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
signoretti
Rookie
Rookie

Help with naturalization record :)

Postby signoretti » 16 Jul 2009, 06:14

I am wanting to apply for dual citizenship, and am asking for your advice and help. I am searching for naturalization records on my great grandfather:
Egidio "James" Signoretti b. 1 sett 1889 in Citta di Castello, Italy.
He emigrated to the US, Chicago in 1913.
My grandmother was born in 1927. On the 1930 census under citizenship Egidio is listed as PA and my great grandmother (Egidio's wife Lena) is listed as AL.
Other families on the same page (not related) under their citizenship reads NA.
This leads me to believe he was not yet naturalized but perhaps in the process. I am crossing my fingers :D
I have searched but have come up with nothing. I have visited the NARA website and unfortunatly live hours from a research center.
The wonderful people at Italian Citizenship Message Board advised me to ask for your amazing help :wink:
Thanks ~ Grazie ~
Emily

pink67
Master
Master

Re: Help with naturalization record :)

Postby pink67 » 16 Jul 2009, 07:41

Hi Emily!! :D

from the site:

http://www.cookcountyclerkofcourt.org/NR/default.aspx

here are the Naturalization dates for Egidio:

Record Details for Volume 216

Page Number: 457
Declaration Number: 106557

FIRST NAME EGIDIO
LAST NAME SIGNORETTI
OCCUPATION MACHINE HAND

BIRTH CITY PERUGIA
BIRTH COUNTRY ITALY
BIRTH DATE 9/1/1889

CURRENT ADDRESS 946 FRANKLIN STREET
CURRENT CITY CHICAGO

DEPARTURE LOCATION GENOA
ARRIVAL DATE 6/18/1913
DECLARATION DATE 4/11/1919

Laura

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 16 Jul 2009, 12:38

Keep in mind, Emily, that the declaration was made years before the actual naturalization. They don't seem to have a petition number--only a declaration number. He may never have taken the next step.

You may want to contact Cook County with the number that Laura located to see if they have any further records. If not, you can ask them to send you a letter of "no record found" (which may be one of the documents you will need to prove that he never naturalized).

signoretti
Rookie
Rookie

Postby signoretti » 16 Jul 2009, 16:17

Laura ~ Thank you so much! I am so excited you have found this! I have searched that website before and never found any information! You are amazing :D This really helps!! Hugs !!

Mler ~ Thank you so much for your help! I am not familiar with the naturalization process and your advice was just what I needed. I contacted the Cook County clerk this morning. I have already filled out the paper they need to search their records for naturalization and am sending it in today! So exciting!!

On the 1920 and 1930 census for Egidio under citizenship it states PA. Now that I know his declaration date was 4-11-1919 I know why the census records for 1920 says PA. In 1930 his citizenship is still listed as PA so hopefully in 1930 this means he was still in the process.

Thanks again for your wonderful help!
~ Emily ~ :wink:

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”