Italian citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Italian citizenship

Postby ChrisMosca » 06 Aug 2009, 20:31

I'm applying through my grandfather who was born in 1911 Valter Mosca, when he moved to Argentina in 1929 he started to use the name Walter, but he never gave up his italian citizenship, but after that every document has his name as Walter Mosca, will that give me a problem? thanks for the advice
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).

mler
Master
Master

Re: Italian citizenship

Postby mler » 06 Aug 2009, 22:09

It is a minor discrepancy, but some consulates are taking a hard line on similar issues. Where will you be applying?

ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Postby ChrisMosca » 07 Aug 2009, 00:41

I was hoping to apply from the Vancouver, BC Canada consulate.
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).

jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jwazevedo » 07 Aug 2009, 02:26

Hi Chris,

I just got through submitting my package to the Vancouver consulate. I had a more serious name discrepancy than that, and it still might trip me up, but at least they are thinkinig about it; I didn't get booted out the door. And some minor discrepancies they didn't even comment on. So go down and talk to them. Nice folks.

Good luck.
Best,
Jerry

ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Postby ChrisMosca » 07 Aug 2009, 05:15

thanks!!! did you have to make an appointment first or did you just walked in? thanks again.

jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jwazevedo » 07 Aug 2009, 17:08

To ask a question about names, I first sent an email:
cittadinanza.vancouver@esteri.it

Once I had my package ready, I just walked in. (They say in their instructions that no appointment is required and that you can even mail in the package, though dropping it in the mail didn't have the sense of ceremony I needed after the months of preparation.)

If you walk in, you will speak with a very nice and knowledgeable receptionist but perhaps not with the citizenship officer herself. For questions, I'd recommend the email or even a phone call.

Good luck!

Best,
Jerry

ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Postby ChrisMosca » 07 Aug 2009, 17:30

One last question, do the documents that are in Spanish have to be translated to Italian?
thanks!!!!

jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jwazevedo » 07 Aug 2009, 19:12

I have heard that all non-Italian documents must be translated (except for the Naturalization certificate, for some reason). I would read that to mean that documents in any language other than Italian would need translation. Interestingly, the instructions put out by the Vancouver Consulate do not mention translation at all. Regardless, I provided translations of my documents. But when they did the initial review at the counter, the receptionist looked at the original documents in English, not the translations.

By the way, I provided apostilles for my U.S. documents (at considerable expense, since California has upped the charges), but Canada is not a signatory to the Hague Convention. So I'm not sure the apostilles were actually needed. I didn't ask the Consulate; I just did it.

Best,
Jerry

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”