Spelling Differences

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
MyNameHere

Spelling Differences

Postby MyNameHere » 06 Aug 2009, 22:57

So, my family is trying to apply for our italian citizenship, but we have a couple of hiccups. We weren't sure if it would be easier to apply through my dad's paternal or maternal grandparents, so we requested birth certificates for both of my great-grandfathers. However, when we got them, we noticed some last name spelling differences...

First... my dad's maternal grandfather went by Lidano Corsi in the states and signed many documents as such, but on his birth certificate, his name is Lidano Corso. Does anyone know if that pretty much kills it for that side?

My dad's paternal grandfather seems less problematic. His name was Giusseppe Cargioli. However, on his birth certificate, it is spelled Cargiolli. Based on a few documents, it seems like the Cargiolli family suddenly decided to just drop an L. Also, Giusseppe used the name Joseph... I don't know if he ever signed documents as Joseph (I haven't got those yet), but what problems could these name difference cause?

We're applying through the Detroit consulate.

Thanks in advance!
~Reese Cargioli

jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Spelling Differences

Postby jwazevedo » 07 Aug 2009, 02:23

Hi Reese,

Name discrepancies are common in the records, and you'll find many posts on the subject in this forum. The bottom line is that there is no single definitive answer. Each consulate has a slightly different take on the issue, it seems, and the best advice is to speak directly with your consulate and see how they might treat the discrepancies. Worse case, they'll ask you to amend some or all of the documents that don't match the Italian birth certificate.

Best,
Jerry

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”