Question for those more knowledgable than I

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mkondrasik

Question for those more knowledgable than I

Postby mkondrasik » 09 Aug 2009, 12:43

My wife was pursuing dual citizenship through her maternal grandfather, unfortunately that avenue was closed to us as he gained derivative citizenship just shy of his 18th birthday.

We're told our only course at this time would be to reside in Italy for 3 years. My wife had permanent residency in Italy from 1982 - 1985. She didn't apply for dual citizenship at that time because she was unaware that she could. Do you think her residency in the 80's (if we could prove it with proper documentation) would be accepted as meeting dual citizenship requirements?

elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Question for those more knowledgable than I

Postby elba » 09 Aug 2009, 15:21

I would ask an Italian Consulate or 'maybe' ask the Ufficio Anagrafe at the Comune where she was a resident for those three years.

If you have the documented proof then an Italian Consulate might accept a full translation and 'asseveramento' by the translator in Italy and stamped by an Italian Justice of the Peace. That, in itself, isn't difficult to obtain or over expensive - I do asseveramenti quite often.

But whether that 3 year sojourn would be acceptable as grounds for citizenship is quite another matter.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"

mkondrasik

Re: Question for those more knowledgable than I

Postby mkondrasik » 09 Aug 2009, 20:28

Thanks for the response. The only answer we got from the consulate was a "probably." I guess it is a bit of a gray area. Working on documenting the permanent residency for those years and then a trip to see what they say.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”