Last name change

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
caborrall

Last name change

Post by caborrall »

Hello,This is my first post so I will try to keep it short and what I know to be true. (1) My maternal GF was born in Pola,Istria in 1905 as Rudolfo Mattuchina. The search for that record is under way. (2) In 1906 Ellis Island records show my GGM ( Catherina Mattuchina) ,arriving with her two children Rudolfo and Maria(my great aunt). The number 11-14083 was written over his occupation block , I understand this to be immigration verification. (3) My GF cetificate of naturalization states his name as Rudolph Matekine. Former nationality as Italy. And that he was naturalized in Chicago in 1943 however the certificate was'nt issued until 1967. (4) Death cerificate states name as Rudolph Matekine.
Question is: How do I prove the last name change from Mattuchina to Matekine? Would immigration records not hold this info? And how do I proceed? I welcome all responses. Charles
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Last name change

Post by Italysearcher »

Matekine is the Anglicized version of the surname Mattuchina. The Italian version of Rudolph is Rudolfo, so he apparently obtained some American document based on his verbal statement of his name which was then written as it sounded.
I would think some kind of sworn statement that Rudolph Matekine is the same person as Rudolfo Mattuchina would suffice but I am no expert.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Rodolofo is the more appropriate spelling for Rudolph or am I in error?=Peter=
~Peter~
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

PeterTimber wrote:Rodolofo is the more appropriate spelling for Rudolph or am I in error?=Peter=
Peter, too many 'o's :wink: ?
Valarie
RODOLFO

Usage: Italian, Spanish, Portuguese

Italian, Spanish and Portuguese form of RUDOLF. This is the name of the hero in Puccini's opera 'La Bohème' (1896).
from Behind the Name
http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/ita4.php
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Through which consulate are you applying? Some are more picky than others.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Valerie ....and to think that we are both Masters!!!! How impertinent can I be?? =Peter=
~Peter~
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

PeterTimber wrote:How impertinent can I be?? =Peter=
Oh my, Peter
What a question :D !
Big hug
Valarie
AJM

Post by AJM »

hi my name is andrew Matekine my fathers name is andrew matekine he had a brother with the name of rudy who was living in centerville iowa.
rudy had a mother who remarried with a last name of kolak.
I would love to talk more.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

talk! =Peter=
~Peter~
aimeeceleste

Post by aimeeceleste »

caborrall wrote: 15 Aug 2009, 21:06 Hello,This is my first post so I will try to keep it short and what I know to be true. (1) My maternal GF was born in Pola,Istria in 1905 as Rudolfo Mattuchina. The search for that record is under way. (2) In 1906 Ellis Island records show my GGM ( Catherina Mattuchina) ,arriving with her two children Rudolfo and Maria(my great aunt). The number 11-14083 was written over his occupation block , I understand this to be immigration verification. (3) My GF cetificate of naturalization states his name as Rudolph Matekine. Former nationality as Italy. And that he was naturalized in Chicago in 1943 however the certificate was'nt issued until 1967. (4) Death cerificate states name as Rudolph Matekine.
Question is: How do I prove the last name change from Mattuchina to Matekine? Would immigration records not hold this info? And how do I proceed? I welcome all responses. Charles
HI! Rudolpho is my Grandfathers brother. My Grandfather was Andrew Matikine aka Mattuchina